Saturday, September 21 | 5 – 8 pm | Howard Community College
There’s a place at our table for you! Mix, mingle and meet new friends at this fun, uplifting community gathering. Share a meal, explore common topics, and add your voice to this unique communal experience.
Social hour with music, games, refreshing beverages by Sobar, a pop-up library, and interactive art begins at 5 pm. The Columbia Art Center brings local artist Fidel Carey-Realmo to work with attendees to collaboratively interpret the theme “Together We Soar!”
Dinner served family-style at 6 pm.
TICKETS on sale at the-longest-table-2019.eventbrite.com.
$15 for adults | $10 for high school and college students*
Are you interested in volunteering to be a table host?
This event is an opportunity to meet new people and have conversations about things that are important to us as individuals and as a community. It’s an hour of mingling, music and art followed by dinner. During dinner, table hosts facilitate a conversation among small groups at a very, very long table. We hope this event builds new connections and is a fun meaningful experience! HCLS also hopes to learn from the conversations. We are starting a strategic planning process and want to be sure the Library’s mission, vision, and services align with the priorities and aspirations of Howard County residents. By facilitating conversation and sharing what they hear, table hosts will help the community shape the Library’s plans. What’s involved? Table hosts will:
- Arrive and register by 5 pm and attend a brief ten-minute training. Enjoy the rest of the social hour. Host a conversation at your table from 6 to approximately 7:30 pm.
- Facilitate introductions — we’ll provide instructions and an easy icebreaker activity for this.
- Share Ground Rules with your table – we’ll provide the rules and tips for maintaining them.
- Keep the conversation flowing – we’ll have a pre-written set of questions for you. You’ll draw connections and ask questions.
- Maintain an inclusive table – try to engage everyone and prevent anyone (including yourself!) from dominating the conversation. Keep folks focused on productive dialogue and appropriate topics.
- Provide 5-10 minutes of feedback after the event on what you heard at your table.
- Bonus points: invite a couple of great people from your network/community to the Longest Table!
- Please note:
- We ask that you obtain a ticket to cover your meal.*
- We greatly appreciate hosts and will thank each with a complimentary T-shirt.
- Table hosts’ focus is on listening to others. If you suspect you’d most enjoy the event sharing your own insights, you may wish to enjoy the event as a participant.
T-shirts available for pre-purchase when purchasing tickets.
The Longest Table is rain or shine.
- If the weather is nice, plan to dine outdoors on the campus of Howard Community College in Lot B, off the right spoke of the traffic circle at the main entrance on Little Patuxent Parkway.
- In the event of rain, the event will move inside. The social hour, from 5 to 6 pm, will be held in DH 100. Dinner will be held in the cafe in the RCF building. Campus map: https://www.howardcc.edu/about-us/hcc-at-a-glance/locations-and-directions/campus-map.html
Thank you to our generous sponsors:
*Everyone is welcome at The Longest Table. We don’t want the cost to be a barrier and have set aside free tickets for those who need them. Contact Katie at 410-313-7763 or firstname.lastname@example.org for a code for free registration for yourself or others, no questions asked.