As an enhancement to Cultural Connections
and a convenience to the community, Howard County Library System's (HCLS) East Columbia Branch
accepts passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State.
HCLS East Columbia Branch
6600 Cradlerock Way
Columbia, MD 21045
- Monday through Thursday from 3 – 7 pm
- Saturday from 10 am – 4 pm
- No appointment necessary. Pagers are provided, courtesy of Friends of Howard County Library. Please expect longer wait times on Saturday.
- A completed Passport Application form DS-11 (available from the branch or at travel.state.gov). DO NOT SIGN THE FORM until asked by an HCLS Passport Agent. Forms must be completed in black ink.
- One 2” x 2” color passport photos with a light background (available at the branch for $15)
- Current photo ID: Driver’s license, state issued ID card, previously issued U.S. Passport, or U.S. Military ID card
- Original citizenship verification document (e.g., Certificate of Live Birth [abstracts of birth not accepted], U.S. Passport, or naturalization document). Must be surrendered to the Library Passport Agent; the U.S. Dept. of State will return the document.
- The Department of State requires original citizenship verification documents - NO photocopies may be used.
- Note: Children under the age of 16 who have a passport must also submit their Certificate of Birth.
- If you have had a U.S. Passport under a different name, please bring original documentation to support the name change (e.g., marriage certificate, court order).
- Check or money order, payable to Department of State
- Children under the age of 16 years must be accompanied by both parents when applying for a US passport. If one parent is unable to come, a notarized consent form is needed from that parent authorizing the application.
- Only one parent is needed for children between 16 and 17 years of age.
For your convenience, details are available on the printable Passport Fact Sheet
|Fee type (2 separate payments)
||Passport Processing Fee
Check or money order payable to
Department of State
Credit card or check payable to Howard County Library System
|Passport book - age 16 and over
|Passport book - age 15 and under
|Passport card - age 16 and over
|Passport card - age 15 and under
||$60 - $72.72
* Expedited Service – If you desire to receive your passport sooner than the average wait time of six weeks, add $60 to cost of standard processing fees (listed above). If overnight return delivery is desired, add $12.85 to cost of Expedited Service.
General passport information
If you are eligible to renew your passport by mail but prefer that HCLS process your paperwork, please complete a DS-11 form
, as we do not process the DS-82 form (renewals by mail). For application forms, full documentation requirements, fees, and travel warnings, visit the U.S. Department of State web site
or call 877-487-2778.
The handling of passport applications expands HCLS' curriculum, most notably, Cultural Connections
, complementing existing components, including English Conversation Clubs, world languages collection, transitions collection, foreign films, travel collection, ASL collection, bilingual children's classes, travel seminars, translation services, and HCLS Project Literacy.