Current Volunteer Assignments
Before filling out a volunteer application, please carefully review each assignment to determine your area of interest.
- Adopt a Shelf: This is a flexible volunteer opportunity for people who like to volunteer on their own schedule. Volunteers keep materials in order and shelves neat. Volunteers adopt a subject area that is of personal interest and maintain its order, accessibility, and appearance. This opportunity is ideal for corporate groups, families (at least middle school age and older), and individuals.
- Customer Service: Support the Customer Service Department by sorting and shelving returned materials.
- Summer Reading Club (13 & 14 year olds): Encourage children to participate in the Summer Reading Game, greet children and help them inroll, and distribute prizes.
- HCLS Project Literacy Tutor: Provide adult basic education tutoring on a one-to-one basis.
- Enchanted Garden: Assist with this innovative, outdoor educational environment at HCLS' Miller Branch.
- Signature Events: Provide assistance at HCLS' signature events. Duties may include set-up and/or breakdown, working the registration table, greeting customers and other tasks as assigned. This would be on an as-needed basis and therefore a volunteer position that would work well for individuals unable to commit on a regular basis.
HiTech Volunteer: HiTech, HCLS' STEM Digital Media Lab for teens, centers on science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).If you are interested in volunteering for HiTech, please fill out this questionnaire.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Howard County Library System. Due to an overwhelming response, we are no longer accepting applications. Please check back in September.
This page will be periodically updated with new or different volunteer opportunities. Please check back!