Pass the Book by the Numbers – July 30, 2010
The life of one of our more interesting books got even more interesting this week, when book #484 moved even farther away from Columbia, MD… or maybe it got closer, depending on how you look at it. Book #484 started out the week 7500 miles away in Henan, China, and was registered on Wednesday in Derevnya Bogachevka, Kamchatka, which is part of the Russian Federation, but is geographically closer to the U.S. than to Europe.
Book #484 moved 3000 miles from Henan to Kamchatka, and is now 5100 miles from Columbia, MD, across the Pacific Ocean and North America. Already our farthest-traveled book, book #484 has clocked up 10,000 miles plus, and this week’s pass of almost 3000 miles makes this a book of interest in this summer’s farthest pass contest.
Pass the Book copies have been registered in five countries; Canada, The United Kingdom, China, Russia and the United States, as well as fifteen U.S. states: California, Colorado, D.C, Delaware, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, Virginia, and Washington.
Book #484 isn’t our only long-distance read. As a reminder, here are the rest of our high-mileage copies:
- Book #562 has traveled 3700 miles, visiting six readers in five states.
- Book #183 has traveled 3630 miles in a single pass, to Harpenden, Herts, U.K.
- Book #585 has traveled to Exeter, Devon, England, 3520 miles away
- Book #542 was passed from Laurel, MD to San Francisco, CA, a distance of 2818 miles.
- Book #207 made the leap to Elma, WA, 2831 miles from its starting point in Elkridge.
- Books #101 and #130 have traveled 2600 miles from Columbia, MD, to Torrance and Laguna Beach, CA.
Three other books were registered locally this week, all for the first time:
|592||Laurel, MD 20723, USA||2010-07-24 13:14:03|
|593||Laurel, MD 20723, USA||2010-07-24 13:14:17|
|441||Ellicott City, MD, USA||2010-07-27 16:40:40|
|484||Derevnya Bogachevka, Province of Kamchatka, Russian Federation||2010-07-27 17:41:59|
Here are the latest totals:
- Books have been registered 304 times since October 2009.
- 221 copies of The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld are being actively registered and passed.
- Book 562 has been registered six times.
- Book 446 has been registered five times.
- Three books have been registered four times.
- Thirteen books have been registered three times
- Forty-six books have been registered twice.