The Travels of The Secret Hour
Since October 19, 2009, you’ve registered 323 copies of The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld in seventeen U.S. states and seven countries. Nice work! Thanks to your creative thinking, persistence, and interest in encouraging other people to read this great book, you’ve passed copies to Canada, The United Kingdom, China, Norway, the Republic of Ireland, Russia and of course the United States, where books were registered in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, D.C, Delaware, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, Virginia, and Washington. Take a look at our expanded map to see where those books are now.
Lots of our books traveled thousands of miles, some in a single pass. Take a look:
- Book #562 traveled 3700 miles, visiting six readers in five states.
- Book #183 traveled 3630 miles in a single pass, to Harpenden, Herts, U.K.
- Book #585 traveled to Exeter, Devon, England, 3520 miles away
- Book #542 was passed from Laurel, MD to San Francisco, CA, a distance of 2818 miles.
- Book #207 made the leap to Elma, WA, 2831 miles from its starting point in Elkridge.
- Books #101 and #130 traveled 2600 miles from Columbia, MD, to Torrance and Laguna Beach, CA.
- Book 484 traveled 3000 miles from Henan, China to Kamchatka in Russia.
- Book 441 was passed 3368 miles from Ellicott City to Dublin, in the Republic of Ireland.
- Book 144 was sent 3670 miles from Columbia, MD to Bergen, Norway.
These are just our long-distance highlights. Closer to home, all across Howard County, you and your classmates passed this book among yourselves, read it and enjoyed it enough to recommend that a friend take the book and register it too. Congratulations to everyone who read, registered and passed the book this year. We”ll continue to track copies of The Secret Hour as they travel across the country and around the world, and to report on the travels of those books in our weekly by the numbers posts. Check back every Friday for the update as we expand Pass the Book to include Pay the Piper by Jane Yolen and Adam Stemple!