Pass the Book Wrap-Up 2009-2011
Last night Howard County Library System kicked off Teen Read Week 2011 and said farewell to Pass the Book with an after-hours lock-in at the East Columbia Branch. Pay the Piper copy #900 was registered as the event closed, and became our 600th registration.
900 Columbia, MD, USA 10/15/2011 21:35
Pass the Book has been active since we began releasing copies of The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld into the community in October 2009. Since then, we’ve watched 439 active, registered copies travel to many interesting and unexpected places.
Copies of The Secret Hour have been registered in:
- Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, D.C., Delaware, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, Virginia and Washington.
- Canada, China, Norway, the Republic of Ireland, Russia, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the United States.
- Book #562 traveled 3700 miles, visiting six readers in five states.
- Book #183 traveled 3630 miles in a single pass, to Harpenden, Herts, U.K.
- Book #585 traveled to Exeter, Devon, England, 3520 miles away
- Book #542 was passed from Laurel, MD to San Francisco, CA, a distance of 2818 miles.
- Book #207 made the leap to Elma, WA, 2831 miles from its starting point in Elkridge.
- Books #101 and #130 traveled 2600 miles from Columbia, MD, to Torrance and Laguna Beach, CA.
- Book 484 traveled 3000 miles from Henan, China to Kamchatka in Russia.
- Book 441 was passed 3368 miles from Ellicott City to Dublin, in the Republic of Ireland.
- Book 144 was sent 3670 miles from Columbia, MD to Bergen, Norway.
- Delaware, California, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Nebraska, New York, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah and Virginia.
- Australia, China, India, Japan, the Philippines and the United States.
- Book 1073 was passed 1093 miles from Shanghai to Tokyo
- Book 842 was passed 2288 miles from Ellicott City. MD to Chino Hills, CA
- Book 1048 was passed 1056 miles to Scribner, NE
- Book 810 has been registered five times in Illinois
- Book 766 has been registered in Maryland, Delaware, Michigan and Virginia.
Here are our official “final” totals as we close out Pass the Book:
|-||Secret Hour||Pay the Piper||Total|
|Number of Passes||340||260||600|
|Passed Three Times||17||9||26|
|Passed Four Times||4||-||4|
|Passed Five Times||1 – Book 446||3 – Book 810, Book 1158, Book 1073||4|
|Passed Six Times||1 – Book 562||1 – Book 766||2|
We’ll continue to check on the locations and activity of these books, and we’ll report any interesting developments here. If you find a book, or if you’ve been waiting for the right moment to pass your book, go ahead, and watch for our occasional updates. A small number of copies remain available. Please get in touch if you would like one to register, read and pass, or if you would like to Pass the Book at your library.
Thanks to everyone who has participated in, sponsored, supported and advertised Pass the Book between 2009 and 2011. Your books are traveling the world!