County and State Resources
Howard County Office on Aging and Independence (OAI) has numerous resources available for older adults, caregivers, adults with disabilities and their families to find the services they need.
- OAI is offering a wide-range of virtual classes that you can join from home! Check out the virtual offerings guide available on the main OAI page.
- The 50+ Connection newsletter provides valuable information regarding programs, services and events of interest to older adults.
- The 2020 Howard County Resource Guide for Older Adults, Persons with Disabilities, and Caregivers is available. This guide provides information about local, state and federal programs, businesses, and non-profit organizations serving older adults, caregivers, and their families in Howard County.
Senior Shopping Hours lists:
- Howard County Government has created a listing of local stores and their senior hours.
- The State of Maryland offers a list of grocery stores and other retailers with senior hours across the state.
Maryland Senior Call Check: Maryland is the first state in the country to start a free, opt-in, telephonic service to check on Maryland’s older residents, all across the state. The Maryland Department on Aging recommend all seniors use the program as a resource during the COVID-19 global pandemic. Senior Call Check phone lines are open Monday – Friday 8 am – 5 pm and Saturday 9 am – 3 pm.
- To apply:
- Apply Online: https://aging.maryland.gov/Pages/senior-call-check-sign-up.aspx
- Download, fill out, and mail-in a paper application: https://aging.maryland.gov/SiteAssets/Pages/senior-call-check/Maryland-Senior-Call-Check-Paper-Application.pdf
- Call toll-free (866)-502-0560 and ask to have a hard copy application mailed to your home.
Maryland Access Point of Howard County (MAP) helps adults 50 years and older, adults 18 years and older with a disability with information and referrals to meet immediate and future needs. Family members, other caregivers, and health or business professionals can also call.
- Ph: 410-313-1234 (voice/relay)
Ph: 1-844-627-6465 (844-MAP-LINK)
- Email: [email protected]
- Resource listings: www.marylandaccesspoint.info
- The website of Maryland Access Point of Howard County: https://www.howardcountymd.gov/MAP
- MAP staff can assist people in multiple languages.
For additional resources, information, and specific guidance for seniors from the Maryland Department on Aging, visit the COVID-19 website: https://aging.maryland.gov/Pages/Novel-coronavirus.aspx
Other Helpful Resources
- National Council on Aging has resources available for COVID-19 aimed at older adults and caregivers:
- The AARP has COVID-19 resources and news available on a wide range of topics.
- The CDC has a COVID-19 Guidance for Older Adults.
- The Gerontological Society of America has put together an informative guide on Social Distancing.
- Are you helping a senior to learn technology during the Coronavirus outbreak? Click here to find some tips and tricks to make a smooth transition to new technology.
Email [email protected] with corrections/additions. For assistance, call 410-313-7750.