Information on unemployment
- If you find yourself out of work due to COVID-19, you may be eligible for unemployment insurance benefits. Visit the State of Maryland Department of Labor website for more information.
- To apply for unemployment insurance benefits, visit:
- If you have questions, consult the FAQs page: https://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/uicovidfaqs.shtml
- Read this infographic of helpful tips from Howard County Government.
- Applicants must upload or create a current resume to maintain eligibility for benefits. Access help writing a resume, go to the Library’s Adult Learning Center. You must have a library card to use this service, apply for a card online if needed.
Contacting Unemployment Claims Centers
- To file an unemployment insurance benefit claim over the phone, call 410-853-1600 or 1-877-293-4125 (toll free in MD only).
- If you have a question or need to check the status of your unemployment insurance benefit claim over the phone, call 410-949-0022 or 1-800-827-4839.
- Hearing Impaired? Dial 711 for Maryland Relay.
- Claims Centers are open from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday and Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- If you are having difficulty placing a call or accessing the website, claimants can e-mail questions to [email protected]. Claims may only be filed by phone or online; claims cannot be filed by e-mail.
- Información en español: https://www.dllr.state.md.us/spanish/desempleo.shtml
- Solicitud de beneficios del desempleo para la población que hable español: 301-313-8000 o 1-877-293-4125 (gratis solo en Maryland)
- Due to COVID-19, a temporary exemption from the work search requirement for individuals receiving unemployment insurance benefits was put into place.
- All current and new unemployment insurance benefit recipients are exempt from the requirement to actively seek work for a ten (10) week period beginning the week ending on March 21st, 2020. However, recipients still need to continue to file their weekly certifications, either through the online Weekly Claim Certification or by calling 410-949-0022.
- If you have questions about filing your weekly claim, please visit Weekly Claim Certification frequently asked questions.
Job Search Resources
- For job-related resources available through the State of Maryland, visit: https://www.maryland.gov/pages/jobs.aspx
- The Howard County Office of Workforce Development has created a new, online portal to help connect residents to employers and jobs available in Howard County. http://mid-marylandwib.org/howardworkforce/
- Howard County Library System has numerous online resources available to help you build skills and knowledge, including Lynda.com, Gale Courses, Cisco Networking Academy, and much more. All you need is a library card! To see what is available, visit https://hclibrary.org/research/online-classes/
- Brainfuse Adult Learning Center – Find resources and get feedback on your resume or cover letter through the Adult Learning Center, an online service powered by Brainfuse. You must have a library card to use this service, apply for a card online if needed.
Email [email protected] with corrections/additions. For assistance in English and Spanish, call 410-313-5088.