For the most up-to-date information and resources on Coronavirus in Maryland, including guidance for those who have been exposed, visit: coronavirus.maryland.gov
For the most up-to-date information and resources on Coronavirus in Howard County, including Community Updates, Departmental Update, and more, visit: howardcountymd.gov/Departments/COVID-19-Coronavirus-Countywide-Updates
- Contactless pickup now available at all six branches.
- According to the REALM Project‘s first round of lab testing for COVID-19 on five commonly borrowed library materials (hardback book cover, paperback book cover, plain paper pages inside a book, plastic protective book covering, and DVD case), the virus is not detectable on those materials after three days. Click here for information about rounds two and three.
- Subscribe to Howard County Library System’s e-newsletter here
Links to Library social media activity are on the bottom right of this page.
Protect Yourself and Others
- Follow the CDC’s recommendations for how to protect yourself and others
- Learn about handwashing with the CDC’s “When and How to Wash Your Hands” and their suggestions for helping children wash their hands well.
- Howard County Health Department’s Coronavirus Page provides general guidance, frequently asked questions, an information line, and other resources. Scroll for resources especially relevant for certain subgroups, like older adults, parents, clinicians, and pet owners.
- Kidshealth.org is run by Nemours, a nonprofit children’s health system. Kidshealth.org provides articles, slideshows, videos, and health tools designed to help families learn, grow, and be their best. Visit the Coronavirus page for an overview and answers to questions that are important to parents. Visit the hand washing page to learn more about handwashing and their suggestions for helping children wash their hands well. Information is available in Spanish.
About the Virus
- The World Health Organization (WHO) is a trusted, authoritative source for public health information. The WHO page on Coronavirus includes background, news on the outbreak, and links to Questions and Answers on Coronaviruses.
- The CDC’s Coronavirus page for American citizens is a one-stop shop for background on the disease, including how to protect yourself and others and what you should do if you are sick. It also provides statistics on cases and a wealth of news and resources for professionals, travelers, and the general public.
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is the primary agency of the United States government responsible for biomedical and public health research and is the nation’s medical research agency — making important discoveries that improve health and save lives. Visit the NIH’s Coronavirus page for the latest information, resources, and updates about the Coronavirus.
- The federal government’s Coronavirus webpage brings together health information and information for businesses, schools, and healthcare professionals in one place.
News and Information
- Johns Hopkins University’s Coronavirus Resource Center
- Johns Hopkins experts in global public health, infectious disease, and emergency preparedness have been at the forefront of the international response to COVID-19. This website is a resource to help advance the understanding of the virus, inform the public, and brief policymakers in order to guide a response, improve care, and save lives.
- This WHO page on Coronavirus disease has practical information for dealing with the outbreak on a personal level. The page includes video, graphics, myth-busters, and even tips for coping with related stress.
- LiveScience breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet, including the latest COVID-19 news and Live Updates.
- The News Literacy Project has put together a COVID-19 misinformation guide that has classroom resources, webinars, reliable COVID-19 resources, and much more.
- LitCovid is a curated literature hub for tracking up-to-date scientific information about the 2019 novel Coronavirus. It is the most comprehensive resource on the subject, providing a central access to the relevant articles in PubMed.
- ProQuest has created the Coronavirus Research Database, a collection of journal articles, pre-prints, conference proceedings, dissertations, and more information related to COVID-19 and other coronaviruses from leading repositories such as arXiv and publications like PLoS One, BMJ, JAMA, BMC Public Health, and other prestigious health journals. This database includes comprehensive coverage of past pandemics and epidemics, to give context around the current public health emergency. You can access this resource here under the header Health & Medical Information. Sign in with your HCLS barcode and PIN.
- Go to Howard County’s COVID-19 Coronavirus County Government Updates for a map and dashboard of local cases, links to recent news conferences, and other information. Scroll to find a variety of resources including information on local services and resources, closures and cancelations, free food listing (elaborated here), a listing of local restaurants that are open for business and more.
- Howard County Health Department’s Coronavirus Page provides general guidance, frequently asked questions, and an information line.
- Howard County Health Department’s main webpage has information about essential programs and services operations during the Coronavirus outbreak.
- Governor Larry Hogan’s website includes recordings of recent press conferences, press releases, and important links.
- Maryland Department of Health: Coronavirus Outbreak contains a map of infections in Maryland, a variety of frequently asked questions, and a link to COVIDConnect, “a secure portal that is open to all Maryland residents who were confirmed to have tested positive for COVID-19 and who are now recovered… to share information, promote action, and find support.”
- Maryland Unites page from Governor Larry Hogan’s office includes volunteer and donation opportunities as well as concise information on varied “A to Z” resources and topics.
School System Updates
- Howard County Public School System’s homepage has a series of links to frequently asked questions, information about remote learning, help with devices, and more.
- All HCPSS COVID-19 updates are found here.
- Find information on how to follow HCPSS on social media here.
Email [email protected] with corrections/additions. For assistance, call 410-313-7750.