Call these lines to talk to staff trained to help you find the local resources you need. All can help in multiple languages.
The CARE (Child and Adolescent Resources and Education) Line
The CARE (Child and Adolescent Resources and Education) Line for Howard County Families is a FREE information and referral service for families in Howard County. During COVID-19 Response and Recovery, this can also be used by any residents under 60 years old.
CARE Center staff work with families to identify their needs and help find solutions. The CARE Line can be a helpful source for information, referral, and resources pertaining to:
- Mental and Emotional Health Support
- Assistance Finding Childcare
- Food Access
- Housing Advocacy
- Special Needs Resources
- Virtual Parenting Support Classes
- Online Support Groups
- Extended Family and Guardian Resources
For more information:
- Visit: https://www.howardcountymd.gov/Departments/Community-Resources-and-Services/Office-of-Children-and-Families/The-CARE-Line
- Call: 410-313-CARE (2273)
- Email: [email protected]
The CARE Line staff can assist families in multiple languages.
Maryland Access Point of Howard County (MAP)
Maryland Access Point of Howard County (MAP) helps adults 50 years and older, adults 18 years and older with a disability with information and referrals to meet immediate and future needs. Family members, other caregivers, and health or business professionals can also call.
- Ph: 410-313-1234 (voice/relay)
Ph: 1-844-627-6465 (844-MAP-LINK)
- Email: [email protected]
- Resource listings: www.marylandaccesspoint.info
- The website of Maryland Access Point of Howard County: https://www.howardcountymd.gov/MAP
MAP staff can assist people in multiple languages.
211 Maryland is a partnership across state agencies to provide access to health and human services information. Anyone of any age can call 2-1-1 at anytime. 2-1-1 call specialists are trained to assist people dealing with all kinds of challenges including housing, utility shutoffs, family crisis, financial, legal, employment, and other problems. 2-1-1 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in over 180 languages. 2-1-1 is also accessible for the deaf and hard of hearing through Maryland Relay (dial 7-1-1).
- Ph: 211
- Text your Zip code to 898-211 or TXT-211 (this service is only available for Maryland Zip codes)
- To search for information or chat live with a specialist, go to: https://211md.org/
Grassroots 24-Hour Crisis Hotline
Grassroots 24-Hour Crisis Hotline provides 24-hour crisis intervention, suicide prevention, and support to individuals and families with a mental health, substance use or homelessness crisis. Grassroots is a Howard County-based non-profit, and helps in multiple languages.
- Ph: 410.531.6677
- Prefer to chat online? Grassroots recommends a Maryland option for youth, M-F from 4-9pm: help4mdyouth.org/chat
- And all ages can chat 24/7 at: suicidepreventionlifeline.org/gethelp/lifelinechat.aspx
Coronavirus Information Line
Coronavirus Information Line from the Howard County Health Department answers health and medical questions related to Covid-19.
- Ph: 410.313.6284
- Call 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday
University of Maryland Medical System’s Nurse Call Line
University of Maryland Medical System’s Nurse Call Line offers free phone service available 24 hours a day/7 days a week to answer questions from the community about Covid-19.
- Ph: 1.888.713.0711
Email [email protected] with corrections/additions. For assistance, call 410-313-7750.Trigger Text