Howard County Library System’s (HCLS) curriculum includes a collection of large print books, audio books, captioned DVDs, and American Sign Language videos. We also provide sign language interpreters for our classes and events.
- Large print books for adults and children
- Braille books for adults and children
- Close-captioned DVDs
- Sign Language (Instructional) DVDs
- American Sign Language (ASL) videos
- Adapted toys
Available in HCLS branches
- TTY-Text Telephone : TTY allows a hard-of-hearing, deaf, or speech-disabled person to phone HCLS directly. Every branch has one.
- Reading Edge: This stand-alone reading machine combines advanced speech synthesis, intelligent character recognition, and Bookedge scanner. The Central, East Columbia, Miller, and Glenwood branches have machines.
- Video Eye : This is a video magnifier for individuals with low vision. The magnification level ranges from 2x to 25x. Available at Central Branch only.
Available to borrow
- TDD (portable)
Provided by Howard County Library System
- Signing Interpreters: Interpreters available upon request for any HCLS class or event. Please make arrangements at least one week prior to an event.
- TTY Research Assistance Service: Call local branches with research needs and material requests.
Provided by the State of Maryland – Maryland Technology Assistance Program (MDTAP)
- For Visually Impaired
National Library Service talking books (NLS)
Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Radio Reading Network of Maryland
Metropolitan Washington Ear
- Hearing Impaired
Maryland Relay (711)
Voice Carry-Over (VCO)
Hearing Carry-Over (HCO)
Speech to Speech (S-t-S)
Maryland Accessible Telecommunications (MAT)
MD State Law Library
QUESTIONS?: Please feel free to contact Cari Gast