Research the market
- MorningStar Investment Research Center – Market data, analysis, and education. Look up stocks, mutual funds, ETFs, market analysis, and portfolios. Finance courses on stocks, funds, and portfolio building; regular market outlook reports; and analyses of over 2000 companies, funds, and ETFs.
- Value Line – Investment information including ratings for stock/fund safety and timeliness, daily expert market analysis, and targeted investment recommendations in the “Special Situations” publication.
- AtoZdatabases – Find sales leads, create mailing lists, conduct market research, and find employment opportunities.
- Gale OneFile (subject databases)
- Business – Full-text coverage of all business disciplines through nearly 4,000 leading business and trade publications, updated daily.
- Communications and Mass Media – Academic journals and magazines focusing on all aspects of the communications field including advertising and public relations, literature and writing, linguistics, and more.
- Economics and Theory – Academic journals and magazines focusing on topics in economics and related fields.
- Entrepreneurship – Academic journals and magazines perfect for both business school students and entrepreneurs including insights, tips, strategies and success stories.
- US Small Business Administration – Complete market research and competitive analysis.
Write a plan
- Sample Business Plans
- Business Planning Guide
- Maryland Business Express – Create a business plan
- Maryland Small Business Development Center Network
- SBA – Write your business plan
- SCORE – Business Templates & Resources for Growth
Find the funding
Foundation Directory Online – Research 92,000 nonprofit funders and more than 1.3 million recent grants made to institutions. (Temporary at-home access available during HCLS’s closure due to COVID-19. Our thanks to Candid!)
Local (Howard County)
- Howard County Economic Development Authority – Funding Options
- Howard County Government – Business Support – Assistance, Loans, Grants, and Programs.
- Maryland Financial Incentives for Business
- The Catalyst Fund – by the Howard County Economic Development Authority is part of Maryland’s Video Lottery Terminal Small, Minority and Woman-Owned Business Account Initiative.
- Maryland Small Business Development Financing Authority
- TEDCO (Technology Development Corporation) – Builder, Seed, Venture funds and Tech Transfer
- MARBIDCO – Small grants for specific agricultural and rural-based industry business ventures.
- Micro Loans for Business Owners
- Maryland Department of Commerce – Provides state funding and incentive programs offering business assistance.
- Financial Incentives – Tax credits, loans, grants, and more.
- US Grants – Find, Apply, Succeed
- Small Business Administration Lender Match – Free online referral tool that connects small businesses with participating SBA-approved lenders.
- USA.gov – The U.S. government’s official web site.
- Benefits, Grants & Loans – Learn about government programs that provide financial help for individuals and organizations (includes CARES Act assistance for individuals & businesses during emergencies like the Coronavirus Pandemic and more).
- Money & Taxes – Learn about taxes, money the government may owe you, investing, credit help, and more.
- FEMA Resilience Grants – contains information on preparedness grants funding provided by FEMA to state, local, tribal and territorial governments in the form of non-disaster grants.
Pick a location
- Find a site or building in Maryland
- Find a business incubator, accelerator or co-working space
- Find a research park
- SBA – pick a location
Choose a business structure
- Maryland Business Express – choose a structure
- Small Business Administration – review, combine and compare business structures.
- IRS.gov – decide what form of business entity to establish.
Select a name
Research Licenses & Permits
- Maryland Department of Agriculture
- Office of the Commissioner of Financial Regulation
- Local Departments of Permits & Inspections
- Health Professional Licensing in Maryland
- Business, Construction & Other Licenses
- Hauling Permits
- Environmental Permits & Approvals
- Maryland Aviation Administration Permits
- Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing
- Maryland Business Licenses Online
- Department of Agriculture – Weights and Measures