Howard County Library System (HCLS) meeting rooms (“Rooms”) are intended primarily for HCLS sponsored classes and professional development, as well as for meetings conducted by the HCLS Board of Trustees.
Rooms are also available for use by non-profit organizations and community groups (“Groups”) of at least 10 people for meetings or programs of a civic, cultural, or educational nature (“Meetings”). Meetings convened by these Groups must be free of charge and open to the public.
Groups authorized to use Rooms will be primarily from Howard County, or local chapters of state or national organizations. No one shall be excluded based on beliefs, points of view, or affiliations of the sponsors or participants.
Rooms may not be used for commercial or social purposes.
Use of Rooms, and of tables and chairs in Rooms, is free of charge.
Reasonable charges will be assessed for any damage to Rooms and their contents beyond normal wear and tear, for failure to break down Rooms, or for any required cleanup, in which case Groups will be denied subsequent use of Rooms until payment is received.
Reservations for meeting rooms at all six HCLS branches are handled centrally. Reservation requests can be made by going to the HCLS website and selecting the Book a meeting room option from the How do I? drop down at the top of the home page. For meeting room availability or other meeting room questions please call 410-313-7712 or email [email protected]
Groups may request a reservation for rooms for the current month plus the next two months.
Individual Groups may not use Rooms more than 12 times a year or more frequently than once a week for a six-week period. If demand is heavy, reservation requests may be denied to allow other Groups use of the room.
Applicants (representing the Group) must be 18 years of age or older.
Any publicity generated by Groups for meetings held in HCLS meeting rooms must contain the statement, “Not an official Howard County Library System event,” and include a non-Library phone number for information. Note the meeting location as follows:
HCLS Central Branch
10375 Little Patuxent Pkwy
HCLS East Columbia Branch
6600 Cradlerock Way
HCLS Elkridge Branch
6540 Washington Blvd
HCLS Glenwood Branch
2350 State Route 97
HCLS Miller Branch
9421 Frederick Rd
HCLS Savage Branch
9525 Durness Lanes
1. Rooms are not reserved until Groups receive a Confirmation from HCLS. Please bring a copy of your confirmation with you and be prepared to show it to gain access to the meeting room.
2. Confirmation will be given upon:
a. Verification of information on the application, and
b. HCLS’ determination of availability.
1. Smoking is not allowed in any HCLS building.
2. Non-alcoholic beverages and light refreshments may be served.
3. Groups must have at least one adult representative present at all meetings.
4. Attendance is limited to the posted Room maximum allowed by the Fire Marshall at each location.
5. All Meetings must conclude 15 minutes prior to the building’s closing; all Groups must exit the building at closing.
6. Promotional or advertising campaigns directed at profit-making may not be conducted in Rooms. Groups reserving Rooms must request permission in advance to sell any works.
7. Individuals using the meeting room should not move the tables. The tables may only be moved by HCLS staff. Please see staff at the customer service desk for assistance.
1. HCLS requests that Groups provide 24 hours of notice for any meeting cancellation. Failure to provide this notice may jeopardize future bookings.
2. Reservations for Rooms will be automatically canceled when HCLS closes for inclement weather or emergency situations.
3. HCLS reserves the right to:
b. Cancel reserved Rooms in the event of extenuating circumstances.
1. HCLS communications systems (other than wireless connectivity), such as telephones, etc., may not be used by Groups for any purpose.
2. Equipment belonging to Groups may not be stored at HCLS between meetings.
3. While Groups may use their equipment at their own risk, HCLS will not assume responsibility for same.
Granting permission to use Rooms does not constitute HCLS endorsement of Groups or their beliefs.
Groups and their employees, agents, invitees, and members shall save Howard County Library System and Howard County (MD) Government, and each of their officers, employees, representatives, and agents harmless from and against all liability arising from injury to persons or damage to personal property in or about HCLS premises resulting from use of the premises.
By clicking the I Agree button below, I have read and agree to comply with the terms contained herein and am a legally responsible, adult representative of the above organization.