**Thank you for your interest in 3D printing at Howard County Library System. We have suspended 3D printing services temporarily while we upgrade our 3D printers. Please check back for more information soon.
Howard County Library System’s 3D printers are now available to HCLS customers for printing three-dimensional objects up to 289mm x 266mm x 249mm by uploading a digital file from a remote computer device. The 3D printing service is available to all ages, however certain restrictions do apply.
HCLS 3D printers may only be used for lawful purposes. Users will not be permitted to use the Library’s 3D printers to create material that is:
- prohibited by local, state or federal law.
- in violation of another’s intellectual property rights. For example, the printers will not be used to reproduce material that is subject to copyright, patent or trademark protection.
- obscene or otherwise inappropriate for the library environment.
- objects larger than 289mm x 266mm x 249mm.
HCLS reserves the right to decline any 3D print request for any reason including prior record of non-payment. Only designated library staff will have hands-on access to the 3D printers. Customers must agree to the HCLS disclaimer.
Basic knowledge of Computer Assisted Drawing (CAD) is necessary in order to design and create your own product. Any CAD software may be used to create your design as long as it can be saved in .stl or .obj file format. For ideas or free templates, visit Thingiverse.com, Pinshape.com, and Cubify.com. With more advanced knowledge you can design and create your own product. Free CAD software is available to use online at Tinkercad.com, or clara.io. Software is available to download via Blender, FreeCAD, or OpenSCAD.
TO SUBMIT A DESIGN
- Thank you for your interest in 3D printing at Howard County Library System. We have suspended 3D printing services temporarily while we upgrade our 3D printers. Please check back for more information soon.
- Print times are estimates and cannot be guaranteed. Printing priority is based on a first come, first serve basis. Priority will be given to library programs or activities.
- Customers may submit only one file at a time for printing. Files containing more than one object are permitted, as long as it fits within the print size.
- A separate email will contain estimate of costs and completion date. Upon the customer’s acceptance of the estimated cost and completion date, the object will be printed.
- HCLS will notify you by email when your item is available for pick up.
- Customers are financially responsible for the product. Customers must pay for their 3D print job.
- Customers may use fine sand paper or other tools to remove any small bumps, holes and rough edges on the object that may occur.
- Objects unclaimed after 30 days may be discarded or recycled.
- Customers are expected to pay for objects printed as specified in the submitted design.
- HCLS is responsible for mechanical failure of HCLS equipment and will reprint an object at no additional charge whenever possible should failure occur.
- Customers may not receive a replacement print job if dissatisfied with color, scale, quality, design, or other options within the customer’s control. If your object isn’t as you envisioned, we encourage you to make changes to the design and submit a new print request.
- While HCLS staff make every effort to oversee the use of equipment in the printing of an object, the use of the printed object upon completion is not under the direction or control of the library system.
- HCLS is not responsible for any object created with the use of the 3D printer, including any harm or injury incurred as a result of any usage of the object which was printed.
MATERIALS & COSTS
$0.29 per gram of filament used.