Where Your Money Goes
Donations that support the educational classes, initiatives, and events further enrich Howard County Library System's position as a major component of Howard County’s strong educational system. donation form and mail with payment to:
Howard County Library System-GIFTS
6600 Cradlerock Way, Columbia, MD 21045
Howard County Library System Educational Initiatives:
A+ Partners in EducationSM — Groundbreaking partnership that expands the academic achievement opportunities of each student in our county.
• Online Homework Assistance – Connects K–12 students with free online tutors in math, science, English, and social studies seven days a week.
• Summer Reading Club – Increases student reading over the summer, builds vocabulary and strengthens reading comprehension.
• Dogs Educating and Assisting Readers (DEAR) – Brings third graders reading two to five levels below grade level into HCLS branches to read to therapy dogs and improve their reading skills over nine-week sessions.
• HCLS Spelling Bee – Winners from public and private schools and homeschool associations compete in a countywide spelling bee for the opportunity to advance to the National Spelling Bee. Sponsored by BB&T.
• HCLS BumbleBee – A companion initiative to the HCLS Spelling Bee, the BumbleBee inspires students in grades one through three to improve their spelling and vocabularies.
• Battle of the Books – This competition is designed to increase reading comprehension and build vocabularies for teams of fifth grade students.
• Teen Time – An after-school program for middle school students, Teen Time focuses on academic achievement, responsibility, and respect. Library instructors offer a daily structured setting featuring guest speakers and activities promoting life skills.
• Money Matters Fair – This event delivers financial education for all ages featuring interactive activities for children and teens, seminars for adults, and exhibits by financial institutions and other organizations.
• HCLS Rube Goldberg Challenge – Teams of fourth and fifth grade students apply science, technology, engineering, and math to transform everyday materials into wacky, innovative machines that accomplish a simply task, and enter a contest named after the Pulitzer Prize winning cartoonist, sculptor, and author.
HCLS Project Literacy — HCLS instructors and volunteer tutors teach adults about basic math, reading and writing skills through free, one-on-one tutoring sessions.
Choose Civility — An ongoing community-wide initiative, led by Howard County Library System, to position Howard County as a model of civility, the project intends to enhance respect, empathy, consideration and tolerance in Howard County.
Evening in the Stacks — Howard County Library System's annual fundraising gala attracts hundreds of supporters, community leaders, and elected officials for a night of fabulous food, a silent auction, music, and author presentations. Held the last Saturday in February, tickets go on sale in January. To inquire about sponsorship opportunities, please contact
The Enchanted Garden — Located at the new Miller Branch, the community-based teaching garden is a model of innovative educational strategies, classes and experiences designed to grow healthy habits. To help prevent childhood obesity, rewarding and healthy activities for families encourage children to learn about nutrition and health in an outside, interactive setting as part of environmental, nutrition and science classes.
Howard County Library System
6600 Cradlerock Way
Columbia, MD 21045