While the HCLS Elkridge Branch is closed for the construction of an exciting new HCLS Elkridge Branch + DIY Center, an Express Branch will be operating to serve the community.
HCLS Elkridge Express Branch – LAST OPEN DAY IS MARCH 3, 2018!
7071 Montgomery Road, Elkridge, MD
We are pleased to announce the opening of the HCLS Elkridge Express Branch on Saturday, August 27, at 10 am. Intended to deliver a snapshot of our curriculum while a new, greatly expanded Elkridge Branch is under construction, the HCLS Elkridge Express Branch will feature a small browsing collection, six public computers, and a children’s classroom that can accommodate up to 15 people. Hours of operation are the same as other branches.
- 7071 Montgomery Road (near Elkridge Landing Middle School) | Elkridge, MD 21075 | 410.313.5077
- M – Th 10 am – 9 pm | F – Sat 10 am – 6 pm | Sun 1 pm – 5 pm (beginning September 11)
OPENING MARCH 10, 2018 HCLS Elkridge Branch + DIY Education Center
Building Project Update:
- June 1: Branch closed
- June 30: Costello Construction awarded a $16.2 million competitive bid contract to build the new HCLS Elkridge Branch + DIY Education Center and 50+ Center.
- August 27, 2016 : Interim “express” branch opens
- September 2016*: Construction on the new Elkridge campus, to be named in memory of former Howard County Executive Charles I. “Chuck” Ecker, is expected to start
- March 10, 2018: Grand Opening
Exciting times are on the horizon for Elkridge! In September 2014, two community “dream” sessions brought insight to HCLS and Grimm + Parker Architects as planning for the new HCLS Elkridge Branch began. These initial community conversations started the process of envisioning a 21st century education center that delivers an extraordinary curriculum to the Elkridge community and beyond.
More than doubling in space, the new branch will feature six quiet/group study rooms, three meeting rooms, a cafe, a business center, more computers, and expanded collection. In addition, the DIY Education Center will include a DIY collection (e.g., tools for household repair, gardening, bike repair) available for borrowing, a Design Institute with classes for all ages (e.g., It’s a Fine Line: Caulking 101, Birdhouse Building), a Design Studio (a mess-friendly classroom and work space), and a Design Institute (a series of DIY classes for students of all ages).