Donations to HCLS that support our educational classes, initiatives, and events further solidify Howard County Library System’s position as a major component of Howard County’s strong educational system. You can help support HCLS by giving to either the Friends and Foundation of HCLS (a 501 c3 organization) or by giving directly to HCLS.
For additional information or to inquire about giving opportunities, please email Rita Hamlet
1) Donate to the Friends & Foundation of Howard County Library System
Become a member of the Friends & Foundation of Howard County Library System. DONATE ONLINE or print a Membership Form and mail with your payment.
2) Apply a Gift Directly to an HCLS Initiative
A+ Partners in Education℠ Initiatives — Groundbreaking partnership that expands the academic achievement opportunities of each student in our county.
- Summer Reading Club – Increases student reading over the summer, builds vocabulary and strengthens reading comprehension.
- HCLS Spelling Bee – Winners from public and private schools and homeschool associations compete in a countywide spelling bee for the opportunity to advance to the National Spelling Bee. Sponsored by BB&T.
- HCLS BumbleBee – A companion initiative to the HCLS Spelling Bee, the BumbleBee inspires students in grades one through three to improve their spelling and vocabularies.
- Battle of the Books – This competition is designed to increase reading comprehension and build vocabularies for teams of fifth grade students.
- HCLS Rube Goldberg Challenge – Teams of fourth and fifth grade students apply science, technology, engineering, and math to transform everyday materials into wacky, innovative machines that accomplish a simply task, and enter a contest named after the Pulitzer Prize winning cartoonist, sculptor, and author.
- Online Homework Assistance – Connects K–12 students with free online tutors in math, science, English, and social studies seven days a week.
Other Educational Initiatives
- Choose Civility — An ongoing community-wide initiative, led by Howard County Library System, to position Howard County as a model of civility, the project intends to enhance respect, empathy, consideration and tolerance in Howard County.
- Teen Time – An after-school program for middle school students, Teen Time focuses on academic achievement, responsibility, and respect. Library instructors offer a daily structured setting featuring guest speakers and activities promoting life skills.
- HCLS Project Literacy — HCLS instructors and volunteer tutors teach adults about basic math, reading and writing skills through free, one-on-one tutoring sessions.
- The Enchanted Garden — Located at the Miller Branch, the community-based teaching garden is a model of innovative educational strategies, classes and experiences designed to grow healthy habits. Rewarding and healthy activities for families encourage children to learn about nutrition and health in an outside, interactive setting as part of environmental, nutrition and science classes.
- Evening in the Stacks — Howard County Library System’s annual fundraising gala attracts hundreds of supporters, community leaders, and elected officials for a night of fabulous food, a silent auction, music, and author presentations. Held the last Saturday in February, tickets go on sale in January. To inquire about sponsorship opportunities, please contact Rita Hamlet.
3) Tribute Gifts
Whether given as a memorial, in recognition of a happy occasion, or as an expression of honor and esteem, a tribute gift to Howard County Library System is a satisfying way to remember someone special. These gifts may be made as a one time tribute or established as a fund that others may also support through donations. GIVE A GIFT NOW online or print a DONATION FORM and mail with payment. Click here to view a list of currently established funds.
4) Leave A Legacy
Learn how to include Howard County Library System in your estate plans or will. For further information or to discuss the possibility, contact: Rita Hamlet