Volunteer Opportunities for Students, at least 14 years old
Summer Reading Game Volunteer (applications accepted March 1- June 15)Students can help in a number of ways during the summer:
- Encourage children to participate in the Summer Reading Club.
- Greet children and help them register for the Summer Reading Club.
- Distribute prizes.
- Assist HCLS Children’s Instructors by preparing materials for classes.
Qualifications for Summer Reading VolunteersSummer Reading Volunteers must:
- Be at least 14 years old, or 14 years old by Sept 1.
- Enjoy working with children.
- Possess a friendly and outgoing disposition.
- Follow directions.
- Exhibit independence.
- Demonstrate respect for diverse lifestyles, cultures, religions, and values.
- Be willing to complete assigned tasks and fulfill volunteer commitment.
Additional Volunteer Opportunities for Students, at least 14 years oldExamples include:
- Adopt a Shelf: Volunteers keep materials in order and shelves neat. Volunteers adopt a subject area that is of personal interest and maintain its order, accessibility, and appearance.
- Enchanted Garden: Assist with this innovative, outdoor educational environment at HCLS’ Miller Branch. Limited availability.
Qualifications and Skills:Student volunteers typically must be able to commit to a minimum of two hours per week for at least three months. Currently, there are no volunteer opportunities for students under 14 years of age. Anyone under 18 must have parental permission. Key skills include:
- Flexibility – willingness to perform a variety of projects and tasks.
- Communication and listening skills – willingness to ask questions if tasks are unclear.
- Dependability – willingness to complete assigned tasks and fulfill volunteer commitment.
- Ability to follow instructions, work independently, and focus on fairly detailed tasks.
- Ability to work cooperatively as a team with other volunteers and staff members.
- Respect for diverse lifestyles, cultures, religions, and values.