Contactless pickup of items on hold available at all six branches. Hours:
- 10 am to 6 pm: Monday through Saturday
- 10 am to 8 pm: Thursday
- Closed July 17, 31 and August 14, 28 for furlough days
How does it work?
- Place items on hold.
- Search the Library’s catalog for titles of interest.
- Use your HCLS-registered library card or A+ student account (for HCPSS students) and PIN to log in and place requests, selecting your preferred pickup location. *Due to high demand, Miller Branch is experiencing delays in fulfilling holds. Please consider choosing a pickup branch other than Miller Branch for faster service.*
- You may also make requests by phone by calling your HCLS branch.
- Wait for notification, then reserve a pickup day and time.
- You will receive a notice by email, US mail, text, or phone (depending on your notification preference) when your holds are available for pickup.
- Fill out the CONTACTLESS HOLDS PICKUP REQUEST FORM or call your pickup branch to make an appointment.
- If you have more than one item or if your Items Being Held notice lists more than one item, you do not need to schedule an appointment for each item. You can schedule one appointment for all items. All holds listed in your account at the time of check out will be placed in your bag.
- If you provided an email address, you will receive a confirmation message.
- HCLS staff will locate your items, check them out to your account, and bag them. The bag will be labeled with your name and placed on a table in the lobby of the pickup branch.
- At the scheduled date and time, pick up your holds at the designated branch.
- When you arrive, maintain at least 6 feet of social distance from others. Face coverings are required.
- If you notice another customer in the lobby, please remain outside until the previous customer has departed. Then approach the table and locate the bag labeled with your name. If your items are in multiple bags, they will be labeled as such (for example, 1 of 2, 2 of 2).
- Grab your bag and go – items have already been checked out to you. Your receipt will be in the bag.
Click here for answers to your Frequently Asked Questions about returns, holds, fines, and more.
Borrowed items may be returned to the outside book drops. Items will remain on your account for at least five days while they are quarantined then checked in.
- Artwork can be returned to the Central Branch lobby (no appointment necessary).
- DIY items can be returned to the Elkridge Branch DIY side entrance (no appointment necessary).
- Toys and oversized items may be returned inside the lobby (no appointment necessary).
Items borrowed before March 15 are not due until August 1.
Disregard any notices about overdue items and fines.
Our team has been working tirelessly to prepare for a phased reopening. In addition to ordering PPE (personal protective equipment) and other needed materials, we have been preparing our reopening playbook and conducting site visits to plan physical distancing protocols. Our playbook outlines a phased approach that keeps the safety of both staff and customers paramount.
Members of our team returned to branches on Thursday, June 18 to begin preparing for contactless pickup. Staff received PPE and are scheduled in rotating four-hour shifts to minimize time in branches.
As we move forward, numerous uncertainties remain. However, we do know the return to our branches will not be a return to a pre-pandemic environment. Decisions about how and when to move to the next phase will depend on current health and safety guidelines and the availability and procurement of PPE. The health, safety, and well-being of our staff and customers has been and will continue to be our top priority.