Improving the quality of life for individuals in the community through education is a key component of the HCLS curriculum. Working in tandem with community organizations to help fulfill their mission is another way HCLS delivers education for all. Our partnerships promote community and learning in a variety of ways.
Evening in the Stacks
Brave Voices, Brave Choices
- Learn more about the HCLS new initiative, Brave Voices, Brave Choices.
- Begin or continue your racial equity journey with suggested titles and resources.
- Watch the Taking Action Videos Series here
- Learn about the HCLS Racial Equity Alliance
New Mobile Unit
- Look for the PopUp library at festivals, events, and other gatherings throughout Howard County
- The On the Road to Kindergarten library brings preschool classes and resources to neighborhoods without ready access to library branches.
- Hijinx Podcast: A monthly podcast brought to you by HCLS, Listen Here
- Hoco Cast: Created by teens for our community, Listen Here
- Visit our new enhanced community help page, with everything you need, all in one place.
The Enchanted Garden
- Contribute to Howard County Library System’s collaborative journal, Created While Isolated, chronicling the community’s experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Howard County Library System expands its customers’ educational experience with HiJinx, a podcast that strives to educate listeners about topics relative to upcoming HCLS events and curriculum in a conversational style that piques interest and sparks curiosity.
- Howard County Library System’s East Columbia and Glenwood Branches accept passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State.
- Find out what services are available for Community Book Clubs.
- Howard County Library System branches are in beautiful cherry-blossom bloom each spring, thanks to Blossoms of Hope.
- Learn about the Library’s A+ Partners in Education initiative with the Howard County Public School System and Howard Community College.
For a Healthy Community
- Adjacent to the Miller Branch, the Enchanted Garden is a sustainable, community-based teaching garden that focuses on health, nutrition, and environmental education
- Visit the Farmers’ Markets at the East Columbia and Miller Branches.
Adult Basic Education and Instruction for New Americans
- Project Literacy teaches basic reading, writing, and math skills to adults.
- Get Active Howard County
- Girl Scouts of Central Maryland
- Howard County Autism Society
- Howard County Government:
- Howard County Fire & Rescue
- Howard County Police
- Howard County Animal Control
- Howard County Health Department
- Howard County Tourism & Promotion
- Howard County Historical Society
One-on-One Sessions: currently held remotely HCLS Instructors at all branches now offer one-on-one instruction on how to use the Library’s econtent resources. To schedule a session, call your local branch or fill out our online form.
Computer Video Lessons for Beginners
- New to computers and the internet? Click here to learn more
HCLS Book Discussion Groups
A wide variety of Book Discussion Groups offer a range of topics and discussion times for book lovers of all ages! New members are always welcome and discussions are facilitated by HCLS instructors.