Improving the quality of life for individuals in the community through education is a key component of the HCLS curriculum. Working in tandem with community organizations to help fulfill their mission is another way HCLS delivers education for all. Our partnerships promote community and learning in a variety of ways.
Brave Voices, Brave Choices
- Begin or continue your racial equity journey with suggested titles and resources.
- Learn about the HCLS Racial Equity Alliance
- Participate in events
- June 18 – June 27: In celebration of National Pollinator Week, Learn More
- Visit our new enhanced community help page, with everything you need, all in one place.
- Contribute to Howard County Library System’s collaborative journal, Created While Isolated, chronicling the community’s experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Howard County Library System expands its customers’ educational experience with HiJinx, a podcast that strives to educate listeners about topics relative to upcoming HCLS events and curriculum in a conversational style that piques interest and sparks curiosity.
- Howard County Library System’s East Columbia and Glenwood Branches accept passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State.
- Find out what services are available for Community Book Clubs.
- Howard County Library System branches are in beautiful cherry-blossom bloom each spring, thanks to Blossoms of Hope.
- Learn about the Library’s A+ Partners in Education initiative with the Howard County Public School System and Howard Community College.
For a Healthy Community
- Adjacent to the Miller Branch, the Enchanted Garden is a sustainable, community-based teaching garden that focuses on health, nutrition, and environmental education
- Visit the Farmers’ Markets at the East Columbia and Miller Branches.
Adult Basic Education and Instruction for New Americans
- Project Literacy teaches basic reading, writing, and math skills to adults.