Improving the quality of life for individuals in the community through education is a key component of the HCLS curriculum. Working in tandem with community organizations to help fulfill their mission is another way HCLS delivers education for all. Our partnerships promote community and learning in a variety of ways.
- Howard County Library System expands its customers’ educational experience with HiJinx, a monthly podcast an initiative that strives to educate listeners about topics relative to upcoming HCLS events and curriculum in a conversational style that piques interest and sparks curiosity.
- Howard County Library System’s East Columbia and Glenwood Branches accept passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State.
- Find out what services are available for Community Book Clubs.
- Howard County Library System branches are in beautiful cherry-blossom bloom each spring, thanks to Blossoms of Hope.
- Learn about the Library’s A+ Partners in Education initiative with the Howard County Public School System and Howard Community College.
For a Healthy Community
- Get Well and Wise with the health education partnership led by Howard County Library System and Howard County General Hospital: A Member of Johns Hopkins Medicine.
- Read about Choose Civility, a countywide initiative involving more than 100 Alliance Partners working together to enhance the quality of life and emphasize the importance of civility for all who live and work in Howard County.
- Adjacent to the Miller Branch, the Enchanted Garden is a sustainable, community-based teaching garden that focuses on health, nutrition, and environmental education
- Visit the Farmers’ Markets at the East Columbia, Glenwood, and Miller Branches.
Adult Basic Education and Instruction for New Americans
- HCLS Project Literacy teaches basic reading, writing, and math skills to adults.
- Cultural Connections embraces and celebrates the many diverse facets of our community through instructive and enlightening experiences.