Improving the quality of life for individuals in the community through education is a key component of the HCLS curriculum. Working in tandem with community organizations to help fulfill their mission is another way HCLS delivers education for all. Our partnerships promote community and learning in a variety of ways.
- Howard County Library System expands its customers’ educational experience with HiJinx, a podcast that strives to educate listeners about topics relative to upcoming HCLS events and curriculum in a conversational style that piques interest and sparks curiosity.
- Howard County Library System’s East Columbia and Glenwood Branches accept passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State.
- Find out what services are available for Community Book Clubs.
- Howard County Library System branches are in beautiful cherry-blossom bloom each spring, thanks to Blossoms of Hope.
- Learn about the Library’s A+ Partners in Education initiative with the Howard County Public School System and Howard Community College.
For a Healthy Community
- Adjacent to the Miller Branch, the Enchanted Garden is a sustainable, community-based teaching garden that focuses on health, nutrition, and environmental education
- Visit the Farmers’ Markets at the East Columbia and Miller Branches.
Adult Basic Education and Instruction for New Americans
- Project Literacy teaches basic reading, writing, and math skills to adults.
- Cultural Connections embraces and celebrates the many diverse facets of our community through instructive and enlightening experiences.
- Get Active Howard County
- Girl Scouts of Central Maryland
- Howard County Autism Society
- Howard County Government:
The Howard County Planning Board will hold a public hearing on new and substantially modified capital projects that have been requested by County agencies to be included in the County Executive’s proposed FY2021 Capital Budget and the FY2022-FY2031 Ten-Year Capital Improvement Master Plan. The hearing is scheduled for April 9, 2020 and will be conducted solely online beginning at 7:00 pm. While Planning Department Headquarters (3430 Courthouse Drive, Ellicott City MD) is closed to the public due to the COVID-19 virus situation, community members may sign up to testify and provide comment to the Board on specific agenda items through written testimony or via phone during the meeting. Please visit https://www.howardcountymd.gov/Departments/Planning-and-Zoning/Boards-and-Commissions/Planning-Board for instructions on how to testify or listen. This notice is provided as required by Section 22.403(b)(3)(iii) of the Howard County Code.
If you have specific questions regarding this information, please contact the Department of Planning and Zoning at 410-313-2350. A more detailed description of the proposed capital project is available in electronic format at http://howardcountymd.gov/Planning_Board.
- Howard County Fire & Rescue
- Howard County Police
- Howard County Animal Control
- Howard County Health Department