Walk-in passport service available
No appointment needed
Processing Times: View at travel.state.gov
Assistance: Call the East Columbia Branch at 410.313.7700 or the Glenwood Branch at 410.313.5577
* HCLS does NOT process the renewals via form DS-82. Persons eligible to use this form can mail it in themselves.
If you would like to process the renewal through the Library, please fill out form DS-11.
Para obtener Informacion en Español:
Vea “Como Llenar La Solicitud DS-11”:
Vea “Como Llenar La Solicitud DS-3053”:
Where do I go?
HCLS East Columbia Branch
6600 Cradlerock Way, Columbia, MD 21045 | 410.313.7700
What are the hours?
EAST COLUMBIA BRANCH
Monday – Thursday | 10 am – 7 pm
Saturday | 10 am – 4 pm
Friday and Sunday | Closed
Monday – Thursday | 1 pm – 7 pm
Saturday | 10 am – 3 pm
Friday and Sunday | Closed
What you will need to apply for passports
- The applicant (regardless of age) must appear in person. All family members must be present in order for a group to sign in.
- Check or money order for Department of State fees, one for each application being submitted.
- Proof of Identity (Valid Driver’s license / State ID Card / Military ID/ Passport). (NOTE: Learner’s Permits or Temporary or Restricted Licenses are not accepted by Department of State).
- A COMPLETED application form DS-11. The form must be filled out in black ink. No double-sided applications. Please do not sign the form or write in the area below “Stop.” (NOTE: A Social Security Number is required to complete the form.)
- Proof of US Citizenship (photocopies not acceptable): Government issued US Birth Certificate featuring parent(s) names, an official seal and signature. OR Naturalization Certificate OR Previously issued US passport.
- Special Requirements for Children: Applicants aged 0-15 must be accompanied by parents presenting proof of relationship to the minor child, such as a birth certificate, adoption papers, or custody documents. Whoever is listed must appear. Parents must have valid ID. Names on the birth certificates should match parents’ IDs. If not, please bring evidence to support the name change. (ex. marriage certificate or court order)
- If two parents are listed on a birth certificate, one parent may appear with a notarized consent form, DS 3053, and a photocopy of both sides of the non-appearing parent’s ID.
- For applicants 16 and 17 years old, only one parent needs to be present with the applicant. US Birth Certificate OR Naturalization Certificate OR Previously issued US passport required
- One 2” x 2” passport photo with a white background
Due to social distancing measures, we are unable to take passport photos of anyone unable to sit upright by themselves.
Other additional cases
- If you have had a passport under a different name, please bring evidence to support the name change
- For children deriving citizenship through parents: parent’s naturalization certificate, child’s permanent resident card and child’s birth certificate are required. *If the birth certificate is not in English, a certified English translation is required. Parents’ marriage certificate is also needed.
What are the costs?
There are several types of payment involved and amounts vary depending on the product you need. (see chart below) Passport costs are payable by check or money order ONLY. A separate check, payable to the Department of State, is required for each application.
Effective December 29, 2022
|PRODUCT||COST (Does not include ADDITIONAL HCLS FEES*)|
|Passport book – age 16 and over||$130|
|Passport book – age 15 and under||$100|
|EXPEDITED Passport book – age 16 and over||$130 + $60 = $190|
|EXPEDITED Passport book – age 15 and under||$100 + $60 = $160|
|Passport card – age 16 and over||$30|
|Passport card – age 15 and under||$15|
|EXPEDITED Passport card||$30 + $60 = $90|
|EXPEDITED Passport card – age 15 and under||$15 + $60 = $75|
|1-2 day delivery for the return of completed passport book||$19.53|
Additional HCLS Fees:
- The service fee is $35, as stipulated by the U.S. Department of State.
- A $15 fee is required for each photo needed. (As of February 1, 2020 passport photos services are only available at East Columbia Branch and Glenwood Branch.)
- Acceptable forms of payment for these additional fees include Visa, Mastercard, cash in the exact amount or checks made payable to Howard County Library System. However, the Department of State only accepts payment by check or money order.
- For updated information, please go to travel.state.gov.
If you have urgent travel needs, please call 1-877-487-2778 to make an appointment with the Department of State.