Beginning August 15, DIY collection items may no longer be renewed. We continue to add items to the collection and want to ensure that as many tools as possible are available to the public.
A signature component of HCLS Elkridge Branch, the DIY Education Center features a borrowing collection of tools and classes for children, teens, and adults in the following categories:
- DIY Repair & Maintain
- DIY Create
- DIY Adventure
Optimizing collaboration and creativity, the DIY Education Center includes:
- DIY Collection: Small tools for home projects, bicycle repair kits, etc.
- DIY Institute: A series of DIY classes for students of all ages
- DIY Ed Studio: A “mess-friendly” classroom and workspace
- Suggest an addition to the DIY Collection
To borrow from the DIY collection you must apply for and obtain a DIY Library Card
- Anyone 21 or older who lives, works, or attends school in Maryland may apply in person at the DIY Education Center at the HCLS Elkridge Branch for a HCLS DIY library card.
- The DIY Library Card may only be used to borrow materials from the DIY Education Center. You must use a standard HCLS Library Card to borrow other items
- The DIY library card expires in one year from the date of issue.
- A liability waiver and release must be signed as part of the application
Limits, Loan Period & Fines
- The loan period for items from the DIY collection is seven days.
- You may borrow up to 12 items each visit, with a maximum of 24 items from this collection checked out on one card.
- Beginning August 15, 2018 items from the DIY collection may not be renewed.
- The daily fine (charge per day per item) for materials from the DIY collection: $1. Seniors (65+) pay half the fines on all overdue materials.
Lost & Damaged
- DIY materials are to be returned in the condition in which they were borrowed.
- The full replacement cost and a processing fee will be charged for each item lost, damaged, or stolen.
- Replacement of lost or damaged materials from the DIY Education Center collection are not accepted.
- You MUST return all materials from the DIY Education collection during open hours to the DIY Education Center service desk at HCLS Elkridge Branch.
- DIY Education Center materials MAY NOT be returned to any HCLS book drop, any other HCLS branch, or other library systems in Maryland.
- You may not reserve any materials from the DIY Education Center collection via hclibrary.org.
- You may call the DIY Education Center to check on the availability of materials.
- Available materials can be held until the close of business the following day.
- Reserved materials may not be sent to other HCLS branches.
- Materials from the DIY Education Center collection may not be renewed.