Feb 15 update
All HCLS Spelling Bee participating schools will receive a new message containing links to enter your Winner and Alternate information into forms.
We will need this information from all schools by Feb 21.
Scripps is still experiencing a systems outage that has made the Regional Partner and Educator Portal at spellingbee.com inaccessible. Their team is working diligently to resolve this issue, and now expects that access will be restored by February 29, 2024.
To help you get you what you need during this outage, Scripps has put commonly requested Bee resources into a Dropbox folder for you. Here you can access:
- Words of the Champions, the study list for all levels of competition beyond the school level
- 2024 School Spelling Bee Study List
- 2024 Classroom Competition List
- 2024 School Competition List
- 2024 Vocabulary Supplement
- 2024 Suggested Rules for Spelling Bees
- Recordkeeping template
- Certificate template
- Placard template
We apologize for any disruption this outage has caused to your spelling bee plans. We know how important it is to celebrate your school champion and give them the opportunity to compete in the next level of your regional program. We are grateful for your understanding as we work to resolve these issues, and for the dedication you show to the Bee and your students year-round.
October 9, 2023 – Scripps Online Testing Platform OTP) – As part of your school’s enrollment with the HCLS Spelling Bee, educators at your school will receive access to the Online Testing Platform, the Bee’s platform that gives educators maximum flexibility in running a spelling bee program. With Classroom and School levels, educators can set online spelling and vocabulary tests in place of hosting an in-person Classroom or School spelling bee. HCLS will confirm access to the OTP once enrollment and payment processing is complete for all schools. Please stay tuned for updates.
- Oct 2 – Online Registration – closed
- Oct 11 – Scripps Educator OTP Webinar
watch educator webinar | watch educator OTP webinar
- Oct 17 – HCLS Spelling Bee Info Session Webinar at 7pm
Watch session | view transcript
- Feb 5 – Deadline to complete school-level spelling bee
- Feb 16 (Extended) – Deadline to submit winner and alternate information to Scripps OTP
Schools will send one winner and one alternate to the HCLS Spelling Bee. In case the winner is unable to participate, the alternate will take their place.
- March 15, 2024 – HCLS Spelling Bee Hammond High School at 7:30pm (students arrive at 6pm)
- Week of Memorial Day 2024 – Scripps National Spelling Bee occurs in National Harbor, Maryland. Visit spellingbee.com beginning May 1, 2024, for a full schedule.
View last year’s spelling bee information here