HCLS On Demand Classes
- Playlists of on demand classes by HCLS Instructors on YouTube.
- For seasonal reading challenges, sign up at hcls.readsquared.com.
Please note that the resources below require an HCLS library card number and PIN to sign in.
Learn a New Language
- Little Pim (preK to grade 1): Brief video vocabulary lessons in Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and Hebrew.
- MUZZY Online (grades 1-5): A multimedia mix of stories, songs, and interactive activities that immerses the child in Spanish, French, German, Italian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian, Korean, and English.
Literacy, Reading, and eBooks
- BookFLIX (grades preK-3): Fiction video books are paired with nonfiction Scholastic eBooks to develop critical reading and comprehension skills to help students become fluent, confident and independent readers.
- International Children’s Digital Library (grades preK-8): A collection of eBooks that represents outstanding historical and contemporary books from all over the world. Select titles from a variety of categories, from age range to themes to cover colors. Available in 55 languages.
- NoveList K-8: Find book suggestions for students in grades K-8. Browse book lists by genre, discover read-a-likes, and see award winners.
- Popular eTitles for Kids: Explore and borrow eBooks or eAudiobooks for children in OverDrive/Libby. Some titles have waiting lists.
- Storyline Online (grades K-4): The Screen Actors Guild Foundation records well-known actors reading children’s books and makes dynamic videos so that children can be read to aloud with just the click of a mouse. Each title includes an activity guide for teachers.
- TumbleBook Library (grades K-6): TumbleBooks are narrated animated picture books that children can read or have read to them. Includes books in Spanish and French as well as graphic novels and math stories.
Summer Reading Lists
- Kindergarten-Grade 1 (Reading List, pdf )
- Grade 2-3 (Reading List, pdf)
- Grade 4-5 (Reading List, pdf)
Practice Exercises and Learning Activities
- Brainfuse’s SkillSurfer (grades 3-5): Get lessons, watch videos, and build skills in reading, writing, math, science, and social studies. Log in with your library card number and then click on “SkillSurfer” under “Expert Help” on the left.
- Enrichment Resources from HCPSS: Find resources by grade level to support your student’s learning at home from digital tools to self-paced activities curated by the Howard County Public School System’s staff.
- Khan Academy (all grades) offers free practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empowers students to study at their own pace. They tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, and more.
- LearningExpress Library (grades 4-5): Includes math skills and English/language arts skills practice sets. You must create an account with an email address to save your child’s learning progress. Log in with your HCLS card number and then click “School Center.” ** Please use Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge when accessing this resource.
- Wide Open School powered by Common Sense Media (grades preK to 12): A free collection of the best online learning experiences for kids curated by the editors at Common Sense. Here you’ll find resources from organizations such as DuoLingo, Flocabulary, GoNoodle, Noggin, ChopChop Family, ABCya!, and more grouped into practical categories such as daily schedule, emotional well-being, get moving, life skills, and more. Please note that some links require registration with a valid email address.
Research and Explore New Subjects
- Elementary research [formerly Kids InfoBits] (grades K-5): Includes articles, biographies, photos, magazines, and news on a variety of topics including animals, music & movies, people, plants, sports, tech, arts, geography, health, literature, science, and social studies.
- National Geographic Kids (grades 1-5): Includes National Geographic Kids magazine, National Geographic Kids eBooks, and kid-friendly downloadable photos. Explore animals, environment, history, peoples & cultures, places, and science & tech.
- PebbleGo (grades preK-3): Features built-in reading and research tools expertly leveled for new readers. Topics include animals, science, biographies, and social studies.
- TrueFlix (grades 3-7): Science and social studies content comes alive with dynamic videos, interactive eBooks, and engaging project ideas and activities for young researchers.
- ScienceFLIX (grades 4-9): An in-depth examination of more than 30 different scientific fields, such as archaeology, atoms and molecules, robotics, and disease. Includes videos, experiments, critical thinking questions, news, and research.
- Kanopy Kids (ages 2 to 8): Enjoy quality educational content like Sesame Street, Arthur, and language-learning series for young kids.
- Supporting Your Child – Howard County Public School System provides academic, physical, and social-emotional supports for your child.
- WideOpenSchool for parents (powered by Common Sense Media) – resources include, but not limited to: Back to school guides, daily schedules, content area activities and lessons, and virtual field trips for Preschool, Grades K-2, Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, and Grades 9-12.
- Learning Heroes – According to research, there’s a big gap between what parents think about their child’s grade level progress vs. how their child is actually doing. This site focuses on helping you get the accurate picture you need and deserve so you can best support learning at home.
- National PTA – This site features a wealth of resources to empower and support parents.
- Common Sense Media – Since 2003, this site has been the leading independent source for media recommendations and advice for families.
More RESEARCH specific tools