- Meet our Board
- Board of Trustees meeting dates and minutes
- Board of Trustees invites applications for at-large vacancy: Details and Application
A major component of Howard County’s strong education system and a nationally recognized leader among the great public libraries, Howard County Library System (HCLS) is an allied County agency governed by a seven-member policy-setting Board of Trustees.
Trustees, who serve in a voluntary capacity, are appointed to five-year terms, and may be reappointed for a consecutive term. The seven Trustee positions comprise two at large positions, with five typically representing County Council Districts.
As openings occur, the HCLS Board nominates candidates to the County Executive, who appoints Trustees subject to County Council approval. Officers of the HCLS Board are the Chair, Vice Chair, and Treasurer. HCLS’ President and CEO serves as Secretary.
Powers and duties of the Board include establishing and reviewing policies, approving budgets, and ensuring that Howard County Library System fulfills its mission of delivering high-quality public education for all ages, driving economic advancement and enhancing quality of life. HCLS’ educational mission and curriculum comprises three pillars:
- Self-directed Education through a collection of one million items in print, audio and electronic formats; and thousands of online resources (e.g., Wall Street Journal and Access Science).
- Research Assistance & Instruction for individuals and groups. This pillar includes classes, seminars, and workshops for all ages, taught or facilitated by HCLS instructors.
- Instructive & Enlightening Experiences through cultural and community center concepts, events, and partnerships—such as A+ Partners in Education and Choose Civility, and signature initiatives, such as the Howard County Library Spelling Bee, Battle of the Books, and This is Your Life.
While HCLS Board Meetings are scheduled on the third Wednesday of each month at 7 pm, they are generally held five times per year. Meeting locations rotate among the system’s six branches. The next HCLS Board Meeting is scheduled for September 26, 2018 at 7 pm the Administrative Branch.