2016 Battle of the Books
Coaches can now email email@example.com
to receive their team’s score.
One of the most exciting components of A+ Partners in Education, Battle of the Books gets fifth grade students excited about reading. A lively academic competition, Battle of the Books improves reading comprehension, builds vocabulary, and teaches teamwork and good sportsmanship. The 2016 competition runs concurrently at area high schools to be announced.
Teams of five students and one adult coach each read the same 15 pre-assigned books over four months. Selected by HCLS instructors and HCPSS media specialists, titles include a wide range of reading levels and subjects. Thanks to generous sponsors, all teams receive a set of books. In addition to reading the books, teams choose a team name then dress accordingly.
During the “battle” (a 50-question exam), a moderator asks questions that relate to one of the following: a direct quote from one of the book characters; a statement about something that happens in the book; a passage taken directly from the book; details about an illustration or picture. Winning teams receive prizes.
IMPORTANT DATES for the 2016 competition.
- Informational Meeting: October 14, 2015 and October 15, 2015 at 7pm at HCLS Miller Branch (410-313-7750)
- Registration is closed – registrations are no longer accepted. Teams that registered during the registration period of 10/19 – 11/2 will be notified on Monday, November 9.
- Mandatory coach meetings – November 17, 2015 OR November 19, 2015, 7pm at HCLS Miller Branch (410-313-7750) where each team will receive their set of books.
- Mandatory logistics meetings – March 15, 17, OR March 22, 2016, 7pm at HCLS Miller Branch (410-313-7750).
- Last Day to Change Team Info & Permission Forms Due: February 5, 2016 (the forms are posted below).
- Battle of the Book Contest: Friday, April 15, 2016, 7pm at various high schools.
Once a team’s registration has been accepted, each coach and student member of the team must fill out the appropriate two-sided form posted below to participate in Battle of the Books. Click on each link below to download each version of the form. They must be returned by February 5, 2016. (These forms are not for registration, and should not be brought to the coaches meetings.)
2016 book list:
If you still have questions, email Battle of the Books
A+ Partners in Education is licensed by Howard County Library System (MD) under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Please let us know when you launch your A+ initiative so we may link to your web site