2017 Battle of the Books: Friday, April 21, 2017
One of the most exciting components of A+ Partners in Education, Battle of the Books gets fifth grade students excited about reading. A lively academic competition, Battle of the Books improves reading comprehension, builds vocabulary, and teaches teamwork and good sportsmanship. The 2017 competition runs concurrently at area high schools to be announced.
Teams of five students and one adult coach each read the same 14 pre-assigned books over four months. Selected by HCLS instructors and HCPSS media specialists, titles include a wide range of reading levels and subjects. Thanks to generous sponsors, all teams receive a set of books. In addition to reading the books, teams choose a team name then dress accordingly.
During the “battle” (a 50-question exam), a moderator asks questions that relate to one of the following: a direct quote from one of the book characters; a statement about something that happens in the book; a passage taken directly from the book; details about an illustration or picture. Winning teams receive prizes.
IMPORTANT DATES for the 2017 competition
- Informational Meeting: October 18, 2016 and October 20, 2016 at 7pm at HCLS Miller Branch (410-313-7750)
- Online Registration: October 21, 2016 – November 4, 2016. Team notifications will occur on Monday, November 7.
- Mandatory coach meetings: Three options all taking place at HCLS Miller Branch (410-313-7750) – November 15, 2016 @ 7 pm, OR November 17, 2016 @ 7pm OR November 19, 2016 @ 11 am. Each team’s set of books will be distributed at the mandatory coach meeting they attend.
- Mandatory logistics meetings: Three options – March 21, 23, OR March 30, 2016, 7pm at HCLS Miller Branch (410-313-7750).
- Last Day to Change Team Info & Permission Forms Due: February 10, 2017.
- Battle of the Book Contest: Friday, April 21, 2017, 7pm at various high schools.
Once a team’s registration has been accepted, each coach and student member of the team must fill out the appropriate two-sided form posted below to participate in Battle of the Books. The forms will be posted after registration closes. They must be returned by February 10, 2017.
- 2017 Battle of the Books Coach’s Handbook
- Rules and Procedures
- Information for coaches
- Sample Questions
- Frequently Asked QuestionsIf you still have questions, email Battle of the Books
2017 BOB Book List
A+ Partners in Education is licensed by Howard County Library System (MD) under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Please let us know when you launch your A+ initiative so we may link to your web site