2018 Battle of the Books: Friday, April 13, 2018
One of the most exciting components of A+ Partners in Education, Battle of the Books gets fifth grade students excited about reading. A lively academic competition, Battle of the Books improves reading comprehension, builds vocabulary, and teaches teamwork and good sportsmanship. The 2018 competition runs concurrently at area high schools to be announced.
Teams of five 5th grade students and one adult coach each read the same 15 pre-assigned books over four months. Selected by HCLS instructors and HCPSS media specialists, titles include a wide range of reading levels and subjects. Thanks to generous sponsors, all teams receive a set of books. In addition to reading the books, teams choose a team name then dress accordingly.
During the “battle” (a 50-question exam), a moderator asks questions that relate to one of the following: a direct quote from one of the book characters; a statement about something that happens in the book; a passage taken directly from the book; details about an illustration or picture. Winning teams receive prizes.
IMPORTANT DATES for the 2018 competition
- Informational Meeting: October 17, 2017 and October 19, 2017 at 7pm at HCLS Miller Branch (410-313-7750)
- Online Registration: October 20, 2017 – November 3, 2017. Team notifications will occur on Tuesday, November 6.
- Mandatory coach meetings: Three options all taking place at HCLS Miller Branch (410-313-7750) – November 29, 2017 @ 7 pm, OR November 30, 2017 @ 7pm OR December 2, 2017 @ 11 am. Each team’s set of books will be distributed at the mandatory coach meeting they attend.
- Mandatory logistics meetings: Three options – March 26, 28, OR March 29, 2018, 7pm at HCLS Miller Branch (410-313-7750).
- Last Day to Change Team Info & Permission Forms Due: February 9, 2018.
- Battle of the Book Contest: Friday, April 13, 2018, 7pm at various high schools.
Once a team’s registration has been accepted, each coach and student member of the team must fill out the appropriate two-sided form to participate in Battle of the Books. The forms will be posted after registration closes. They must be returned by February 9, 2018.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION (from 2017)
- 2017 Battle of the Books Coaches Handbook
- Rules and Procedures
- Information for coaches
- Sample Questions
- Frequently Asked Questions
If you still have questions, email Battle of the Books
2018 BOB Book List
A+ Partners in Education is licensed by Howard County Library System (MD) under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Please let us know when you launch your A+ initiative so we may link to your web site