Where do I go?
HCLS East Columbia Branch
6600 Cradlerock Way Columbia, MD 21045 410.313.7700
HCLS Glenwood Branch
2350 State Route 97 Cooksville, MD 21723 410.313.5577
What are the hours?
- Monday through Thursday from 3 – 7 pm
- Saturday from 10 am – 3 pm
- Closed Fridays and Sundays
- No appointment necessary (first come, first served). In case of a line, you will receive a pager for use within the branch.
What you will need to apply
- The applicant (regardless of age) must appear in person. All family members must be present in order for a group to receive pager / take a number / get in line.
- Check or money order for Department of State fees, one for each application being submitted.
- Proof of Identity (Valid Driver’s license / State ID Card / Military ID/ Passport). (NOTE: Learner’s Permits are not accepted by D.O.S.)
- A COMPLETED application form DS-11. The form must be filled up in black ink. Please do not sign. (NOTE: A Social Security Number is required to complete the form.)
- Proof of US Citizenship (photocopies not acceptable): Government issued US Birth Certificate featuring parent(s) names, an official seal and signature. OR Naturalization Certificate OR Previously issued US passport.
- Applicants aged 0-15 must be accompanied by parents presenting proof of relationship to the minor child; such as a birth certificate or adoption papers. Whoever is listed must appear. If two parents are listed, one parent may appear with a notarized consent form, DS 3053 and a photocopy of both sides of the non-appearing parent’s ID. (NOTE: In order to renew a minor’s passport, please bring at least a photocopy of the birth certificate to prove relationship to the minor child.)
- For applicants 16 and 17 years old, only one parent needs to be present with the applicant.
- One 2” x 2” passport photo with a white background (available at the branch for $15)
Other additional cases
- If you have had a passport under a different name, please bring evidence to support the name change
- For customers requesting ‘hand-carry’ service: letter of authorization and itinerary are required
- For children deriving citizenship through parents: parent’s naturalization certificate, child’s permanent resident card and child’s birth certificate are required. *If the birth certificate is not in English, a certified English translation is required.
For your convenience, details are available on the printable Passport Center Fact Sheet.
What are the costs?
There are several types of payment involved and amounts vary depending on the product you need. (see chart below) Passport costs are payable by check or money order ONLY. A separate check, payable to the Department of State, is required for each application.
|PRODUCT||COST (Does not include ADDITIONAL HCLS FEES*)||Estimated Processing Time|
|Passport book – age 16 and over||$110||4-6 weeks|
|Passport book – age 15 and under||$80||4-6 weeks|
|EXPEDITED Passport book – age 16 and over||$110 + $60 = $170||2 – 3 weeks|
|EXPEDITED Passport book – age 15 and under||$80 + $60 = $140||2 – 3 weeks|
|Passport card – age 16 and over||$30||4-6 weeks|
|Passport card – age 15 and under||$15||4-6 weeks|
|EXPEDITED Passport card||$30 + $60 = $90||2 – 3 weeks|
|EXPEDITED Passport card – age 15 and under||$15 + $60 = $75||2- 3 weeks|
|Overnight delivery return of completed passport||$14.85|
Additional HCLS Fees:
- A $25 fee is required for EACH PASSPORT APPLICATION SUBMITTED.
- A $15 fee is required for each photo needed.
- Acceptable forms of payment for these additional fees include Visa, Mastercard, cash in the exact amount or checks made payable to Howard County Library System. However, the Department of State only accepts payment by check or money order.
Howard County Library System does NOT process the renewal for DS-82. Persons eligible to use this form should mail it themselves. If you are planning to travel within 2 weeks, YOU NEED TO APPLY IN PERSON in Washington D.C. Please call 877-487-2778 to make an appointment.