NEW: Photos (2″ x 2″) for passports, visas, and international drivers’ licenses are now available at all HCLS branches (except Elkridge Express Branch). No appointment needed. Cost $15.
Need to apply for or renew* a passport? No Problem!
Come to the East Columbia or Glenwood Branch.
* Howard County Library System does NOT process the renewals via form DS-82. Persons eligible to use this form can mail it in themselves.
If you would like to process the renewal through the library, please fill out form DS-11.
Where do I go?
HCLS East Columbia Branch
6600 Cradlerock Way Columbia, MD 21045 410.313.7700
HCLS Glenwood Branch
2350 State Route 97 Cooksville, MD 21723 410.313.5577
What are the hours?
- EAST COLUMBIA
Monday through Thursday from 10 am -7 pm
Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm
Closed Fridays and Sundays
Monday through Thursday from 1 – 7 pm
Saturday from 10 am – 3 pm
Closed Fridays and Sundays
No appointment necessary (first come, first served). In case of a line, you will receive a pager for use within the branch.
What you will need to apply for passports
- The applicant (regardless of age) must appear in person. All family members must be present in order for a group to sign in.
- Check or money order for Department of State fees, one for each application being submitted.
- Proof of Identity (Valid Driver’s license / State ID Card / Military ID/ Passport). (NOTE: Learner’s Permits or Temporary or Restricted Licenses are not accepted by Department of State).
- A COMPLETED application form DS-11 -2016. The form must be filled out in black ink. No double-sided applications. Please do not sign the form or write in the area below “Stop.” (NOTE: A Social Security Number is required to complete the form.)
- Proof of US Citizenship (photocopies not acceptable): Government issued US Birth Certificate featuring parent(s) names, an official seal and signature. OR Naturalization Certificate OR Previously issued US passport.
- Special Requirements for Children: Applicants aged 0-15 must be accompanied by parents presenting proof of relationship to the minor child, such as a birth certificate, adoption papers, or custody documents. Whoever is listed must appear. Parents must have valid ID. Names on the birth certificates should match parents’ IDs. If not, please bring evidence to support the name change. If two parents are listed on a birth certificate, one parent may appear with a notarized consent form, DS 3053, and a photocopy of both sides of the non-appearing parent’s ID.
- For applicants 16 and 17 years old, only one parent needs to be present with the applicant.
- One 2” x 2” passport photo with a white background (available at the all HCLS branches for $15).
Other additional cases
- If you have had a passport under a different name, please bring evidence to support the name change
- For customers requesting ‘hand-carry’ service: letter of authorization and proof of travel are required
- For children deriving citizenship through parents: parent’s naturalization certificate, child’s permanent resident card and child’s birth certificate are required. *If the birth certificate is not in English, a certified English translation is required. Parents’ marriage certificate is also needed.
For your convenience, details are available on the printable Passport Center Fact Sheet.
What are the costs?
There are several types of payment involved and amounts vary depending on the product you need. (see chart below) Passport costs are payable by check or money order ONLY. A separate check, payable to the Department of State, is required for each application.
|PRODUCT||COST (Does not include ADDITIONAL HCLS FEES*)||Estimated Processing Time|
|Passport book – age 16 and over||$110||4-6 weeks|
|Passport book – age 15 and under||$80||4-6 weeks|
|EXPEDITED Passport book – age 16 and over||$110 + $60 = $170||3 weeks|
|EXPEDITED Passport book – age 15 and under||$80 + $60 = $140||3 weeks|
|Passport card – age 16 and over||$30||4-6 weeks|
|Passport card – age 15 and under||$15||4-6 weeks|
|EXPEDITED Passport card||$30 + $60 = $90||3 weeks|
|EXPEDITED Passport card – age 15 and under||$15 + $60 = $75||3 weeks|
|Overnight delivery return of completed passports||$15.89|
Additional HCLS Fees:
- A $25 fee is required for EACH PASSPORT APPLICATION SUBMITTED.
- A $15 fee is required for each photo needed. (passport photos are available at all HCLS branches except Elkridge Express)
- Acceptable forms of payment for these additional fees include Visa, Mastercard, cash in the exact amount or checks made payable to Howard County Library System. However, the Department of State only accepts payment by check or money order.
If you are planning to travel within 2 weeks or need to obtain a foreign visa within 4 weeks, you need to apply in person in Washington D.C. Please call 1-877-487-2778 to make an appointment.