What It means to be a Friend
“The chance to create is one of the greatest gifts a community can offer anyone, but particularly a student. Whatever the impetus — a contest to design whimsical art for a bookmark, the model of an inspiring speaker, or just the thrill of diving into a book – Howard County Library System offers the spark that lights a creative fire in young people of all ages. My donation as a Friend makes sure HCLS has the fuel to keep that fire burning. And that’s what it means to be a Friend.”
Susan Thornton Hobby – writer and HCLS Friends & Foundation member.
Friends make It happen, join today!
Choose how to give
As a donor, you’re providing opportunities that HCLS would not otherwise be able to offer. Whether you’re supporting community initiatives or a local business interested in making a philanthropic impact on education in Howard County – there’s a donor engagement level that’s right for you
Online: Make a friends donation
Email: [email protected]
Mail: Print this membership form and mail with your check to Friends of Howard County Library System at 9411 Frederick Road, Ellicott City, MD 21042
Show your support of the Enchanted Garden by contributing in one of the following ways:
Purchase engraved pavers
Show your support of this outdoor education classroom venue. Permeable pavers will adorn the patio area in the garden, and visitors will recognize your role in sustaining this innovative teaching garden.
- Etch your name into the history of this breathtaking garden
- Memorialize a meaningful person in your life
- Commemorate a special occasion
Members of the community may wish to recognize and remember friends and loved ones in this beautiful garden setting. A limited number of opportunities exist for funding memorial and other garden elements. HCLS encourages memorial donations in any amount to the garden maintenance fund, so that the entire community can continue to enjoy the beauty and tranquility of the garden.
A small plaque honoring the person being remembered and/or the donor will be installed on or near certain memorial features.
- Artistic elements and themed garden planting areas (i.e. pond area, heron sculpture fountain, conifer garden, sensory garden)
- Memorial benches and other garden furniture
- Adopt-A-Tree (funding the care and maintenance of a tree already existing in the garden)
Whether given as a memorial, in recognition of a happy occasion, or as an expression of honor and esteem, a tribute gift to Howard County Library System is a satisfying way to remember someone special. To make a Tribute Gift, establish a Tribute Fund.
- Dr. Sydney L. Cousin Memorial Fund : Contributions to this fund will support educational initiatives and classes across Howard County Library System.
- Kathleen S. Glascock Tribute Fund for Children/Youth Literacy & Education : To support and enhance HCLS’ curriculum that advances literacy for children and youth in Howard County. Contributions to this fund are used to support Battle of the Books, HCLS Spelling Bee, and Summer Reading.
- Gene Klein HCLS Project Literacy Fund : HCLS Project Literacy teaches adults reading, writing and basic math skills. More than 7,850 students representing 43 countries have participated in Project Literacy since 1987. 142 have received their high school diplomas and 141 have become US Citizens. Contributions to this fund are used for the high school diploma program and honor a former tutor, Gene Klein.
- Georg W. Veditz (ASL) Fund : Howard County Library System is one of a select number of libraries in the country with a collection of American Sign Language (ASL) materials. Containing more than 200 materials, the collection addresses topics such as classic literature, children’s stories, biographies, history of the deaf culture, health, parenting, ASL poetry, and other original ASL titles. For anyone interested in learning ASL, including parents of deaf children, anyone in the deaf culture, or those interested in interpreting, many of the videos present lessons in the language. To support the collection, the Library established The George W. Veditz Memorial Fund in honor of Veditz, a famous deaf Maryland resident who promoted ASL in the early 1900’s. The Fund is used to strengthen and broaden Library ASL resources. The collection is housed at the Central Branch, but may be requested from any branch.
Contribute to a tribute fund
Note your chosen fund in the form’s comments section
Have you considered leaving a gift from your estate? A legacy gift from your will or designating Friends & Foundation of HCLS as the beneficiary of an account is a wonderful way to support the library with a lasting impact. Making a gift this way may reduce the amount of your estate taxation. For more information please consult your tax or financial advisor for more details.
Learn more: Planned Giving
Friends endowment fund
The Friends & Foundation of Howard County Library System have an endowment fund established with The Community Foundation of Howard County. To designate a gift to the Endowment Fund, please contact the Columbia Foundation at 410.730.7840. Gifts to the Friends & Foundation of HCLS Endowment Fund are eligible for Friends & Foundation of HCLS membership, benefits and recognition in the same manner as standard, non-endowment gifts to the Friends & Foundation of HCLS.
The Presidential Circle recognizes Howard County Library System’s most esteemed and leading supporters who donate over $10,000 annually. Presidential Circle donors may choose to designate and customize the allocation of their funds.
We thank these generous donors
- Dr. Lillian Bauder
- Yolanda and Francis Bruno Family Fund Friends & Foundation of HCLS
- Howard County Public School System Howard Hughes Corporation
- M&T Charitable Foundation
- Josephine B. Scheffenacker Education Trust
- Truist Bank
If you have questions, contact:Rita Hamlet