Closed for Renovation.
On-site Express Branch NOW OPEN
Branch Manager: Suki Lee
Branch (and Express Branch) Location: 6600 Cradlerock Way, Columbia, MD 21045, (410) 313-7700 (MAP)
Express Branch Hours: Mon – Thu 10:00 am – 9:00 pm | Fri – Sat 10:00 am – 6:00 pm | Sun 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
The East Columbia Branch renovations will double the space for quiet study areas (3 rooms to 6), and triple the meeting room capacity. The new teen center (TeenUp!) will include a Teen Time Classroom, HiTech Classroom, Homework Club Classroom, and Student Design Center (dedicated space, complete with work counters and readily available project supplies where students can create and collaborate on assignments and projects). East Columbia’s lobby and entryway will be completely transformed, offering a new and welcoming experience for branch visitors. A design highlight will be a gathering area, replete with a focal piece of unique artwork, in the space currently occupied by the research desk.
- Branch closes: January 15, 2017*
- On-site Express Branch opens: January 18, 2017*
- Grand re-opening: December 2017*
*subject to change
Building Project Update
- When the East Columbia Branch closes, operations will shift to the East Columbia Express Branch, located in the parking lot of the current branch.
- The 3,072 sq. ft. Express Branch will feature a small browsing collection, limited number of public computers, passport office, and two classrooms.
- A limited number of classes for children and teens will be offered at the Express Branch.
Located on Cradlerock Way in the Village of Owen Brown, the HCLS East Columbia Branch houses the 50+ Center. Recipient of Honor Awards for Architectural Excellence from both the Potomac Valley Chapter and the Maryland Society of the American Institute of Architects, this HCLS branch opened in August 1994. The spacious open floor plan, children’s rain forest walkway, theatrical children’s classroom, and silent study rooms all add to customers’ enjoyment of this branch, which delivers HCLS’ curriculum (materials, research assistance, classes, and events) to students of all ages.
The East Columbia Branch features 60 computers available to the public. All computers have Internet and word processing capabilities.