HCLS Central Branch reopened on Saturday, November 5 after the completion of an exciting renovation project. We are sorry for any inconvenience to our customers during the renovation and hope you are happy with the results!
- Closed: April 2016
- Opened: November 5, 2016
Building Project Update
- Highlights of the completed renovations include:
- new Customer Service + Research Desk
- greatly expanded Children’s classroom: 760 sq. ft. (40 percent larger)
- dedicated HCLS Project Literacy suite: 1600 sq. ft. (more than 30 percent larger) that includes a classroom for group instruction, tutoring space for individual instruction, and a research lab
- new STEM classroom: 750 sq. ft. (seats 60)
- updated Maxine White Warfield Meeting Room: 815 sq. ft. (seats 80)
- two conference rooms: 440 sq. ft. (seats 15) and 200 sq. ft. (seats 10)
- two study rooms
- updated furnishings
- new tile in the lobby
- vivid new carpet throughout the branch
A major destination not only for downtown Columbia but also for all of Howard County, the Central Branch of Howard County Library System (HCLS) is an education center featuring research, instruction, and a myriad of community and cultural events. Housing over 200,000 items in its various collections and a full slate of educational opportunities, the Central Branch welcomes over 20,000 children alone attending classes on an annual basis. Conveniently located on major thoroughfares with access to local transit, the HCLS Central Branch takes pride in offering high-quality public education for all on a daily basis.