Closed for renovation – reopening July 2016
The HCLS Central Branch is closed temporarily to complete an exciting renovation project! We are sorry for any inconvenience to our customers and appreciate your understanding as we work to bring the community an even greater library system.
Highlights of the completed renovations include:
- a greatly expanded Children’s classroom
- a dedicated Project Literacy space that more than triples its former size
- a STEM classroom
- updated finishes and much needed new carpet throughout the branch
IMPORTANT DATES: (subject to change)
- March 14: Last day to designate HCLS Central Branch as a pickup location for reserves.
- March 31: Last day to pick up reserved items at HCLS Central Branch. Beginning April 2, any remaining reserve items available at HCLS East Columbia Branch.
- March 31: LAST DAY OPEN
- April 1: HCLS Central Branch closed. Renovation period begins.
- April 2: Items reserved at HCLS Central Branch now available at HCLS East Columbia Branch.
- July 2016: HCLS Central Branch re-opens
- During renovation the microfilm collection from HCLS Central Branch will be temporarily relocated to the HCLS Glenwood Branch
A major destination not only for downtown Columbia but also for all of Howard County, the Central Branch of Howard County Library System (HCLS) is an education center featuring research, instruction, and a myriad of community and cultural events. Housing over 200,000 items in its various collections and a full slate of educational opportunities, the Central Branch welcomes over 20,000 children alone attending classes on an annual basis. Conveniently located on major thoroughfares with access to local transit, the HCLS Central Branch takes pride in offering high-quality public education for all on a daily basis.
The Central Branch features 92 computers available to the public. All computers have word processing capabilities. In addition, there are two games computers in the children’s department.