Presented by Howard County Library System and Howard County Public School System
A coach may serve as coach for only ONE team.
- Act as communication link between HCLS and team members and parents regarding all information and materials for Battle of the Books, including book and ticket distribution.
- Notify HCLS of any special needs of your team members.
- Ensure that your team’s name has been confirmed by BOB staff in case multiple teams select the same name.
- You may wish to develop a list of alternate names in case your team’s requested name has already been claimed.
- The last day to make changes to team name and participating students is February 8, 2021.
- Submit signed participation forms and signed photo release forms for themselves and each team member by February 8, 2021. The signed permission forms will be posted after registration closes.
- Read each of the books to assist teams with preparation.
- Explain the answering procedures to your team.
- Make sure your team demonstrates good sportsmanlike behavior during the Battle.
- Ensure your team members and their families understand the rules of the Battle and expectations on the day of the event.
- Ensure your team has access to the online event platform.
Build team spirit
Prepare for the Battle
- Decide who will read each book. It will be to your team’s advantage to make sure at least two team members read each book. In the past, the most successful teams have had all team members read the books and then assigned “experts” for each book.
- Decide how often you will safely meet to discuss the books.
- Hold mock battles or “Jeopardy” style games based on the books.
- Have students compose practice questions to quiz each other during the meetings. Please refer to the Sample Questions section.
- Contact your school’s media specialist to determine if other teams from your school are participating so you can practice together.
Encourage and reward students
During the actual Battle, each coach will act as monitor for another team.
- Sample Questions
- Answer Card Sample
- Information for coaches
- Rules and Procedures
- Frequently Asked Questions