Presented by : Josephine B. Scheffenknacker Education Trust
Sponsored by : Friends & Foundation of Howard County Library System, Howard County Public School System, Rotary Club of Columbia Patuxent, and Yolanda and Francis Bruno Family Fund.
March 16 Update: Elementary schools may choose to individually host a mock battle once social distancing norms are lifted, and will be provided with resources for their use.
March 13 Update: Howard County Library System considers the health and safety of our customers and staff a top priority. Due to the recommendations from Governor Hogan to practice social distancing and cancel large events, we have made the difficult decision to cancel Battle of the Books which draws approximately 1,000 to each of six sites. We know how much your students have been looking forward to this event, and we share your disappointment.
Due to the number of sites needed for the more than 300 teams, among other factors, rescheduling is not an option. However, we are working with Howard County Public School System to provide a modified Battle of the Books experience at individual schools.
Important dates for the 2020 competition
- October 14 and October 17: Informational meeting at 7 pm at HCLS Miller Branch
- October 21: Registration is closed. Registration began at 10 am and remained open until capacity was reached or November 4 at 11:59 pm, whichever came first. The event is at full capacity.
- November 19, November 21, November 23: Coach meetings at HCLS Miller Branch
- February 7, 2020: Permission forms due (see links below) and last day to change team info
- March 24, 25, or 26, 2020: Mandatory logistics meetings at 7 pm at HCLS Miller Branch
- Canceled – Friday, April 17, 2020: Battle of the Books at various high schools
BOB Permission Forms
Each coach and student member of the team must fill out the appropriate two-sided form to participate. The deadline to return forms is February 7, 2020.
2020 Book List
A+ Partners in Education is licensed by Howard County Library System (MD) under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Please let us know when you launch your A+ initiative so we may link to your web site