Snow date: Sunday,March 10, 2019
- BumbleBee winners will be recognized as a group on stage before the Howard County Library System Spelling Bee (grades 4-8) begins.
- Please arrive by 6:40 pm at the BumbleBee sign-in table.
- Library staff will escort you to the BumbleBee waiting room where you will wait to go on stage.
- After all the BumbleBee winners have been acknowledged, you will be escorted by Library staff to the cafeteria where you will receive a trophy.
As children learn to read, write and spell it is only natural that there are a few bumps along the way, which is why Howard County Library System is offering the BumbleBee for young students. When you look at the word “bumble,” you see the following definition:
v. bum·bled, bum·bling, bum·bles
1. To speak in a faltering manner.
2. To move, act, or proceed clumsily.
A companion initiative to the HCLS Spelling Bee for students in grades one through three, the BumbleBeeSM motivates students to improve their spelling, increase their vocabularies, and develop the self-confidence needed to speak effectively in front of an audience. The BumbleBee also prepares students for the HCLS Spelling Bee. Grade level winners from all schools attend the HCLS BumbleBee Celebration.
|Who:||Students in grades 1-3|
|When:||Classroom and grade level bees
November 5, 2018 – January 25, 2019
|When:||BumbleBee Celebration at River Hill High School
March 8, 2019 at 7 pm
Spelling bees progression is as follows:
Level 1: Grade level bees are held. There will be one per grade: One bee for first grade students, one for second grade students, and one for third grade students.
Level 2: Grade level winners attend BumbleBee Celebration and are acknowledged at the HCLS Spelling Bee on March 8, 2019.
Interested schools and home school associations should fill out the BumbleBee INTENT TO PARTICIPATE form by October 31, 2018. Registration deadline is October 31, 2018.
Information for school/association spelling bee coordinators is available in the BumbleBee 2019 COORDINATORS’ HANDBOOK.
The BumbleBee is sponsored by The Howard County Rotary Clubs