Howard County Library System is undergoing a strategic planning process to guide our future.
We engaged residents across Howard County to ensure this plan reflects our community’s interests and aspirations. Thank you for sharing your time and thoughts to help our community!
Strategic Plan Timeline
- September 2019: Process kicks off with The Longest Table*
- October – December 2019: Community Conversations at library branches and with community associations
- Dec 2019: Identify internal collective assets
- January 2020: Workshop with Paul Schmitz for community leaders. Click here for PDF of his presentation.
- January – February 2020: Online survey for community members
- January – March 2020: Analysis of community conversations and online survey data
- February 2020: Internal strengths finder
- March 2020: STRATEGIC PLANNING PAUSED
- November 2022: RFP for strategic planning support released
- February 2023: Due East Partners chosen to lead strategic planning process
- April – July 2023: In-person and virtual listening sessions, stakeholder interviews, and online surveys for staff and volunteers, partners, and community members
- August 2023: Updated drafts of vision, mission and values plus proposed strategic priorities and results due for internal review
- September 2023: Revise Strategic Roadmap and begin to draft Plan Narrative. Begin management planning and forecasting the resources needed to fully implement the plan.
- September – October 2023: Conduct in-person and virtual feedback sessions to review the Strategic Roadmap with staff, partners and community members
- November 2023: Present Strategic Roadmap to HCLS Board of Trustees for review and approval
- January 2024: New Strategic Roadmap released to the public
*Initial strategic plan work led by HCLS staff