Opening Dec 4th at 10 am
Explore your interests, follow your curiosity, develop an idea or design, collaborate on projects, or create the product you have been dreaming about at Glenwood Branch’s Makerspace.
The Makerspace’s tools, equipment, classes, staff, and fellow makers will help you to fulfill your aspirations to become an inventor, entrepreneur, designer, recording artist, or maker. The space is free and open to anyone 8 years old and up. Younger makers are welcome to visit the Builder’s Barn in the children’s area.
The Builders’ Barn
Children are invited to explore, discover and create in this space that features a range of materials and resources. Young builders can fold, cut, tear, stick, join, tie, color, and engineer their designs into life. We have ideas to inspire and space for young builders to create their own projects.
HCLS offers several classes related to Makerspace. Register (link coming soon) for classes on such topics as 3D design, Photoshop, Illustrator, laser cutter projects, and music editing projects.
Maker To Order
Don’t have time to stop by and work on your project? No problem! Submit your project to our new Maker to Order service. Submit a form at (link coming soon) along with your 3D image file, large format print job, or laser cut file. Your project will be processed, and we will contact you when it’s ready for pick-up.
Explore, collaborate and create when you discover all the crafting and building bits available in our tinker bins. Choose a bin and start inventing!
3D Printer ($)
Print items up to 11.4” x 10.8” x 9.8”. The Makerbot Method X, a high performance 3D printer, prints at professional grade level. Cost for materials is $0.40 per gram of filament. The cost of your item can be calculated when you are in the print preview mode. For more information, visit 3D Printing or Submitting a 3D print job, or ask a staff person.
Record music or speech on professional grade equipment. Bring a DVD or flash drive with you, or purchase one from the Customer Service Desk ($0.25 per DVD and $2.40 per flash drive).
Laser Cutter Engraver ($)
Cut or engrave wood, leather, and acrylic. To ensure the safety of our customers and the lifespan of the laser cutter, all materials MUST be purchased from HCLS or GlowForge.com.
Large Format Printer ($)
A professional grade HP DesignJet T600, this large format printer prints up to 36 inches wide and 100 feet long with a minimal white border. You can manufacture banners, posters, and other large format images on either glossy or matte paper. Cost for the materials usage is $4.61 per sq ft. Preferred file types are PDF and JPEG.
Digital Memory Station
Preserve memories and create your stories at the digital memory station. The station includes a photo scanner, VHS recorder/player, DVD reader/writer, and a computer with professional grade applications that you can use to create digital memories. Scan pictures and transfer videos or audio onto a DVD or flash drive. Bring a DVD or flash drive with you, or purchase one from the Customer Service Desk ($0.25 per DVD and $2.40 per flash drive).
$ = customers pay the cost to produce items on these machines
Safety procedures specific to designated equipment are posted and must always be followed.
- Equipment and supplies must be used in a safe and proper manner.
- Customers should report to staff any equipment that may appear to not be operating properly
- If you see anyone doing something unsafe, alert staff. If you see a potential safety hazard, alert staff .
- Wearing headphones is prohibited.
- The customer assumes responsibility for the cost of repairing or replacing equipment damaged by improper use.
- If an accident or injury occurs, inform HCLS staff immediately.
- If someone is seriously injured, call 9-1-1 from any phone and alert staff.
- Appropriate eye protection must be worn when operating laser cutters.
- Customers must maintain a safe workspace by keeping it free of clutter and debris.
- Food and drink are prohibited in the Makerspace.
All safety procedures will be enforced by staff.
HCLS’ Makerspace equipment may only be used for lawful purposes. Users will not be permitted to use the Library’s equipment to create material that is:
- prohibited by local, state or federal law.
- in violation of another’s intellectual property rights. For example, the printers will not be used to reproduce material that is subject to copyright, patent or trademark protection.
- obscene or otherwise inappropriate for the library environment.
- objects larger than specified sizes for each piece of equipment.
HCLS reserves the right to refuse or halt and end production for any reason including prior record of non-payment. Only library staff and customers that have completed HCLS’ Makerspace Equipment Training can operate the 3D printers, laser cutter/engraver and large format printer. Customers use all equipment at their own risk. Customers must agree to the HCLS disclaimer.
- Customers are expected to pay for objects printed, engraved, or cut as specified in the submitted design.
- HCLS is responsible for mechanical failure of HCLS equipment and will reprint, re-engrave or recut an object at no additional charge whenever possible should failure occur.
- Customers may not receive a replacement object if dissatisfied with color, scale, quality, design, or other options within the customer’s control. If your object is not as you envisioned, we encourage you to make changes to the design and submit a new print request.
- While HCLS staff make every effort to oversee the use of equipment in the production of an object, the use of the object upon completion is not under the direction or control of the library system.
- HCLS is not responsible for any object created with the use of its Makerspace equipment, including any harm or injury incurred as a result of any usage of the object which was printed.